Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do a fresh Win 8.1 install off a Microsoft ISO, the cursor will be pretty rigid and unresponsive right afterwards. In the Windows 7 days, you needed to install all your drivers first, then run the Windows Experience Index option labeled "clear all scores and re-rate the system", just in case the test ran when you didn't want it to while you had 0 drivers installed.

Windows 8.1 is no different. You have to install all your drivers first, then hit the Windows key + R and type "winsat formal". After the tests run, Windows configures the OS for your SSD and GPU, and mouse movement changes drastically for the better. This test will automatically run if you leave your computer idle for 1-2 hours, but if you have the thing idling with no GPU driver installed, it's just going to give you a free case of clown cursor.

I'm not sure how often Winsat runs after the first time, but if you always power down your PC, or don't leave it idle for long periods of time, you might be sitting around with clown cursor for weeks, months, or forever.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post

Windows 8.1 is no different. You have to install all your drivers first, then hit the Windows key + R and type "winsat formal". After the tests run, Windows configures the OS for your SSD and GPU, and mouse movement changes drastically for the better.
Thanks for that tip r0ach, very helpful indeed the cursor is now quite lively compared to before
specool.gif

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
I did this and my cursor no longer has a big red nose.
frown.gif

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
Clown Cursor

·
Registered
350 Posts
OMG thanks you OP now i'm feeling that i'm a PROOOOOO player nice i can go join fnatic team they surely will take me on when they see my new skills yahooooooooooooooooo and all thanks to you

·
Registered
350 Posts
r0ach you might now, i've tried connecting my mouse to a different USB port what i've notice that my mouse speed increased, not sure if thats input lag, noticed this in BF4 and CS:GO, i've use to have my mouse connected to the ones that are on top of my mobo next to these ps2 ports, but now i've tried on any lower USB port. This is my MB:Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H, in BIOS i have disabled HPET, and all other power saving features using your guide and all USB3 support. so not sure if thats input lag or just sensitivity change, i'm using Zowie EC2 but same whit DA 3.5G

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by detto87 View Post

So always I upgrade a driver - say a graphics driver - I have to run winsat formal again?
I wouldn't run it again. Just make sure you never let your PC idle with no GPU driver installed just in case. When Winsat runs, it does lots of stuff in the background like turning on the windows auto-backup crap that enables things like volumeshadow copy services, etc, so you kind of want to run this command before you optimize any settings on the PC and not run it again afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post

r0ach you might now, i've tried connecting my mouse to a different USB port what i've notice that my mouse speed increased, not sure if thats input lag, noticed this in BF4 and CS:GO, i've use to have my mouse connected to the ones that are on top of my mobo next to these ps2 ports, but now i've tried on any lower USB port. This is my MB:Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-D3H, in BIOS i have disabled HPET, and all other power saving features using your guide and all USB3 support. so not sure if thats input lag or just sensitivity change, i'm using Zowie EC2 but same whit DA 3.5G
Even if you unplug a mouse then replug it back into the same port, it's usually easy to notice mouse sensitivity change a non-insignificant amount. It's very annoying.

If you go and read things about hardware components of USB and mice, you'll run into stuff like crystal oscillators and crystal-less oscillator controllers. Supposedly the later has a 5% variance or so, which means mouse performance might vary wildly by doing random things like removing the mouse and plugging it back in. The crystal oscillators are supposedly more accurate, but this is all engineering stuff that I haven't gone much into.

All I know is, it seems very little or zero engineering work has gone into making mice or USB ports have any form of consistency, which is why I'd love to see a dedicated mouse interface instead of USB garbage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:

All I know is, it seems very little or zero engineering work has gone into making mice or USB ports have any form of consistency, which is why I'd love to see a dedicated mouse interface instead of USB garbage.
PS/2?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's another pretty big thing:
Quote:

Forgot to mention, I'm not sure if this affects all motherboards because I've spent most time on Gigabyte, but this Asus Z77 board requires "CPU C3 State Report" & "CPU C6 State Report" turned on to function properly in Windows 8.1. Certain USB functions do not work properly without them enabled.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They can't even roll out Stable Updates via Windows Update which don't cause a Rollback or Bluescreen for Win 8.1 and most of Microsoft Support is residing in India now ...

Who wonders that Low Level stuff like this isn't working properly?

·
Mehehe!
2,781 Posts
Never had issues with my own PC on Windows 8/8.1.

Alot of people at work bring in PC's with completely broken Windows 8.1's though (apps that no longer open, etc).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyourimage View Post

They can't even roll out Stable Updates via Windows Update which don't cause a Rollback or Bluescreen for Win 8.1 and most of Microsoft Support is residing in India now ...

Who wonders that Low Level stuff like this isn't working properly?
Yea ugh. I've run into this multiple times as well.
Also windows 8.1 and windows 8 use different cd keys too which is annoying when you do to do a repair or reformat.

·
Registered
779 Posts
In Windows 7, the full command to do as you're describing in the OP is:

winsat formal -restart clean

Not sure if the "-restart clean" applies to Windows 8 or not.

And yes, this is actually very important to the doubters. It's a good idea to do it after every hardware or major driver change.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolsAndJezuz View Post

In Windows 7, the full command to do as you're describing in the OP is:

winsat formal -restart clean

Not sure if the "-restart clean" applies to Windows 8 or not.

And yes, this is actually very important to the doubters. It's a good idea to do it after every hardware or major driver change.
You're supposedly supposed to use "winsat formal -restart" on subsequent runs. I'm not sure if "winsat formal -restart clean" is a better option or not. It's strange that running it will sometimes turn on Windows backup, even if you had it off, other times it doesn't. The several volume shadow copy services seem to bog down a system pretty bad, so you would want to make sure Windows backup isn't on.

Also, since Winsat seems to do things like set SSD/Superfetch parameters, I would undo any custom service changes you've done to things like that and enable superfetch and everything else before running "winsat formal -restart clean", then turn them off again afterwards.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts