Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep seeing all these pci-e vid cards online selling for cheaper then the agp ones..??
like the geforce 6600gt is 135 for the pci-e but for the agp one.. it's like 140

·
Registered
527 Posts
...thought i was the only azn here...loll....u sure its the same exact card? both are gt's? and same bit and same mb? and same site?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdameron

I think it's because the AGP's are better, by a small bit.

how is AGP better than PCI-e when the transfer rate of AGP is 8x and PCI-e 16x. Also, PCI-e is compatible with SLI and dual graphics card, not AGP...IMO PCI-e is better, after all it's new technology

AGP may be more expensive because of the small productions. Many new cards are only available in PCI-e...this is just what i think, i may be wrong

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
AGP's yield better performance right now, until the PCI-E can fully utilize its bandwidth, AGP is still king.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
AGP cards are higher priced because companies(mainly Intel) are trying to push the move to PCI-E. They want consumers to buy PCI-E cards, so they jack the prices of AGP cards.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Do PCI-E cards work with a standard PCI slot on a mobo?

Hell no

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Hell no

Great responce. But also think about this, PCI-e is not as common as AGP. Can you give me the name of a socket A mobo that has it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Hell no

Can you give me the name of a s754 (I actually could be wrong 'bout this just havent seen 'em.) that has PCIe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Hell no

Would that be a good reason why to make them cheaper because they are useless to a lot of people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

Hell yes

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

I think it's because the AGP's are better, by a small bit.

omg man
roflmao
agp is 8x
pcx or pci exprees ( however you call it) is 16x
that makes pcx cards twice faster than agp's

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meggy

agp is 8x

THEORETICALLY. I don't think that it's happening that way yet though, for a variety of reasons. It's the same way that AGP 8x really isn't any faster than AGP 4x, even though it should be

·
Registered
698 Posts
Also the theoretical limit of PCIe hasnt even been reached yet. They say by just adding signal pairs it can scale all the way to 32x.

As for Mr. Smily. MSI 8KN Neo4 Diamond (it might be 939 but it might be 754 im not sure). And there is an Asus Athlon64 board that supports PCIe.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meggy

omg man
roflmao
agp is 8x

Lol this is priceless, so if you get 5000 on 3dmark with a 6800, then you should get 10K with a PCI-E version? Wrong. AGP is a bit faster, because it can better utilize its bandwidth. When PCi-e can utilize atleast 12x, the scores should differ.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I thought we would've all learned by now that it's not how much bandwidth or how many meagherts you have, but how efficiently you use them. I mean look at SLI, granted it's still brand new, but I mean when a single 6800GT beats out dual 6800 Ultras, proves the point pretty well that you can have all the power in the world, but if you can't make good use of it, it's worthless. I think AGP costs more because they're selling chips that are native PCIe and they have to manufacture and implement a small bridge chip into the board circutry which further cimplicates the process and of course the added cost of the bridge chip itself.

·
Registered
956 Posts
again the problem is that they took an agp card and modifyed the card to work on the pci 16x bus, this problem will not go away till they build a design that is built from the pcix slot up!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by asianlonerboy

i keep seeing all these pci-e vid cards online selling for cheaper then the agp ones..??
like the geforce 6600gt is 135 for the pci-e but for the agp one.. it's like 140

I know this is off from the rest of the discussion thats been going on about this, but Id like to know where you found a 6600GT for $140 PCIexpress OR AGP

I just got an agp, and the only manufacture I could find that produces one yet is XFX and no matter where I looked it was around $240. all PCIexpress versions were around $190.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nayo_450

again the problem is that they took an agp card and modifyed the card to work on the pci 16x bus, this problem will not go away till they build a design that is built from the pcix slot up!!

dont know if you are refering to the 6800, or the 6600, but the PCIexpress version is what was actualy developed and Nvidia uses the same bridge they previously used on agp to PCIx to go from PCIx to agp now.

look at a PCIx and an AGP 6600GT the AGP is clearly designed diffrent, and has a heatsink over the bridge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts