Overclock.net banner

Why the hate for Huano switches?

42K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Elrick 
#1 ·
I lurk this sub forum and I noticed quite a few that complain about the switches on the Zowie AM and sub variants. Now I picked up this mouse last week expecting a high learning curve and at the worst switches as bad as a worn out intellimouse explorer 3.0. Quite frankly though, I don't notice a big difference between huano and omrons. I literally picked up the mouse and proceeded to own harder than ever, like I had used the mouse for years. First time I picked up the mouse I had a 30 and one free for all with a sniper vs all reg gunners lol. It almost feels like it takes slightly longer for the switch to release before you can click it again. Maybe a minuscule increase in pressure required for actuation. Is that why some don't like the switches though? It could be that I've used an old intellimouse 1.1 for ages at work so I'm used to having to click hard but quite frankly I don't see what the fuss is about. Shed some light please!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

#3 ·
I agree with you both.

I feel the switch has a stronger magnet and slightly stiffer spring, therefore requires a little more pressure and delays the reset. This is good for FPS games because control is very important. You don't want to accidentally press the button or press the button to much. When you need to do 4-5 shots on an opponent you want to do it deliberately so you can switch to the next target to do the same without any doubt.

When you have a switch that is very easy to press and resets super fast you can unwillingly spray your gun or shoot singles too fast to maintain the gun's accuracy. That is not to say it cannot be done with Omrons because I can use them rather well but it takes more practice. With the Huanos they force you into using them a certain way. For example I can on average, without much effort, get 66 clicks in 10 seconds with the Huanos; whereas with Omrons I can get about 10 more clicks in the same 10 seconds.

Now as I said just because I can click more times in 10 seconds with Omrons doesn't mean they are better for shooters. I rather use Huanos for shooters in all the mice I have. If I played Starcraft or LOL (any game like that) I would probably not want to use Huanos. So if you play both types of games seriously then you might want to have two different mice or buy two Zowies and change the switches to Omrons in one of them.

Does your AM's mouse 2 (right click) feel different and sound different than the mouse 1 (left click)? To me it feels like an Omron switch is in mouse 2 and a Huano in mouse 1. I have to open the mouse to find out myself but I just got it so I won't do that. If that is the case maybe some people would choose the AM for both types of games over other mice. They could just switch the button orientation in the control panel, like I do, to use the easier to actuate switch.

#4 ·
I'll have to check when I get home but I do recall a slight difference in sound between buttons 1 and 2.

Being an ambidextrous mouse the lever geometry should be the same for both buttons so you could be right about that popups.

I was considering transplanting the omrons from my (dead) DA3.5 before I got the mouse but the huano switches were a pleasant surprise.
I've been getting more and more into RTS so I suppose it's an option if it ever becomes a problem.

I see where you're coming from, in the grand scheme of things it could lower APM (actions per minute) over the course of a round of RTS. I guess I just suck at RTS, my APM is probably laughable

#5 ·
I really like the stiffness of the humano too, but theres a specific "problem" with the AM's shell which doesn't combine well with the switchs which makes it feels probably heavier for clicking, so as you saw around the forum - this might be problematic for some spoilled-OCN-users, I think its all about getting use to it, but sure, if you basically hate it just switch the switchs or switch a mouse. lol

What I dont like about the Humano is the durability - I have my EC1 Evo for half-a-year, and the switchs cannot be held - when you hold the main buttons (one of them, or both - doesn't matter) in game, it release itself and activates.

#10 ·
What I dont like about the Humano is the durability - I have my EC1 Evo for half-a-year, and the switchs cannot be held - when you hold the main buttons (one of them, or both - doesn't matter) in game, it release itself and activates.
I am currently researching new mouse and I came by your reply on Google. I had Zowie EC1-A, I assume it had Huano switches back when I bought it (2016/02/07). I started noticing the issue you described only recently, late 2020. Now it is almost exactly 5 years since purchase, and the right-button switch is toast.

For anything that requires holding left or right mouse button the mouse is done. I still consider almost 5 years a good mileage, especially since I solely used this mouse (both work & gaming). Way back in a day I was using Microsoft intellimouse 3.0A, I think it had similar switches and even shape with EC1-A (and also Deathadder). The switches on intellimouse lasted me only about 2 years before I needed to buy a new one.

I do not play much games anymore, so I am consider cheaper alternatives to Zowie EC line. In Europe you can get Yenkee Zero that is copy-pasta of EC1-A (Same shape, sensor, and Omron switches) for half the price and there is even cheaper model (5x cheaper) with some no-name 6651IC sensor.

I know this topic is ancient, but I will appreciate your opinion or recommendation when it comes to decent Zowie EC alternative. Have a nice day!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

I was considering transplanting the omrons from my (dead) DA3.5 before I got the mouse but the huano switches were a pleasant surprise.
Would you mind sending me your lens from your dead DeathAdder? I will pay postage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinin1 View Post

I really like the stiffness of the humano too, but theres a specific "problem" with the AM's shell which doesn't combine well with the switchs which makes it feels probably heavier for clicking, so as you saw around the forum - this might be problematic for some spoilled-OCN-users, I think its all about getting use to it, but sure, if you basically hate it just switch the switchs or switch a mouse. lol

The shell has the switches further forward to decrease travel. That is done to decrease actuation time. Your finger is pretty much sitting on top of the switch. Whereas with the EC it is further back making the switch much easier to press but slower.

What do you mean by "held"? As in the mouse buttons are way to easy to accidentally press now? I know the EC1/2 Evo I used felt as easy to press as new Omrons.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups View Post

Would you mind sending me your lens from your dead DeathAdder? I will pay postage.
The shell has the switches further forward to decrease travel. That is done to decrease actuation time. Your finger is pretty much sitting on top of the switch. Whereas with the EC it is further back making the switch much easier to press but slower.
What do you mean by "held"? As in the mouse buttons are way to easy to accidentally press now? I know the EC1/2 Evo I used felt as easy to press as new Omrons.
Yeah, exactly - the shell of the AM is "slim".

I meant that when you holding the RMB for example its release itself and being activated, which happened to me with a 3 years old Xai (omoron based)

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups View Post

Does your AM's mouse 2 (right click) feel different and sound different than the mouse 1 (left click)? To me it feels like an Omron switch is in mouse 2 and a Huano in mouse 1. I have to open the mouse to find out myself but I just got it so I won't do that. If that is the case maybe some people would choose the AM for both types of games over other mice. They could just switch the button orientation in the control panel, like I do, to use the easier to actuate switch.
Yep mine feels the same. using my index finger as reference, I can click faster on the right click button, feels like my abyssus almost

#14 ·
Suspect the latest Viper 8Khz model uses Huano-styled switches here.

That particular feel is truly great, for Razer Corp(se) company. They finally installed a clicky switch that almost matches the Blue Huanos here.

Don't judge me here, using my son's mouse to see how Razer-Junk compares to all other model releases for 2021.

#15 ·
I don't think the switches themselves are the problem. In fact with the right way of building buttons they could be great. It was the combination of Zowie's very stiff shell combined with the stiffer huano's that created a combination of really stiff and "though" to press buttons.

#16 ·
It was the combination of Zowie's very stiff shell combined with the stiffer huano's that created a combination of really stiff and "though" to press buttons.
If only Zowie bothered to supply REAL decent Scroll Wheel encoders with their mouse models, then they would truly be THE Gaming Mouse worth buying and owning.

That alone leaves them totally dead to me, so now I see other companies jumping onto the Huano bandwagon and supplying better scroll wheels than Zowie. Even Razer Corp(se) supplied a far better quality scroll wheel on their new Viper series, go figure.

Can't believe that I'm standing up for Razer Corp(se) now, my mortal enemy on every front :sick: .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.