Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this seems like a strange question, but why do the TKL keyboards have such a decent sized following?

For me I can think of a few reasons.

1. Space, it fits in a rack and when desk space is at a premium, any extra space is handy.
2. Weight, if you do have to lug it around you don't need to carry those extra keys.
3. Use, the keypad isn't really necessary.

I was also curious as to why they are popular for gaming,

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
To add to your reasons, it's also better for you ergonomically...there's less distance to move between your mouse and the home row so it's less strain on your right arm.

Personally, I don't need the number pad (plus I'm getting better at using the number row anyway). With TKL this leaves a bit of extra room to move my mouse around which I prefer to have over the number pad.
smile.gif

·
No longer New to OCN
2,523 Posts
Size, aesthetics, feel and portability are the main ones really I think.
I like the way my Quickfire TK looks on my desk because it's quite small and I have a big desk, it's also just the right size to fit in my backpack if I need to take it somewhere.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Speaking from the POV of someone who actually doesn't currently have a TKL board, I can tell you why it'd be nice for some people.

- Lack of desk space - Self-explanatory, sometimes it's a real hassle to be able to fit your keyboard and mouse on the same surface. I had this problem with larger sized Logitech's (old G15 was pretty big, and I used to have a very small desk)

- Portability - You can take it back and forth to places, though I think this argument isn't as prevelant considering the shinking LAN demographic and lack of keypad making making it unsuitable for quite a bit of office work.

- Ergonomics - This is probably the biggest reason that I've come to realize. If you type with the keyboard at the center of your field of vision/screen space, you mouse is going to be far off to the side, which can feel awkward (and typing off center of space also feels very awkward at times). Anyways I went off the deep end and have a 60% keyboard (missing both the numpad and misc/arrow key sets)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
* More room for the mouse to move to the left without needing to lift the mouse off of the desk. Especially handy when using low sensitivity.

* Less distance between mouse and keyboard so more ergonomic when transitioning between typing and gaming without needing to move keyboard.

* Takes up less room on desk.

* Aesthetics

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
For me, it's what Shatterist mentioned about ergonomics. That's why I use a TKL keyboard. I do miss the number pad occasionally, but not enough to buy a separate one or go back to a full-size keyboard.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You are forgetting about price:) Keyboard without numpad section means roughly 17 switches, keycaps and some plastic/pcb material less.

in price difference it might means even 20-30 euros less for such keyboard. So i think that is one of the reasons as well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredgHar View Post

You are forgetting about price:) Keyboard without numpad section means roughly 17 switches, keycaps and some plastic/pcb material less.

in price difference it might means even 20-30 euros less for such keyboard. So i think that is one of the reasons as well.
TKL boards are usually bought by enthusiasts, so saving a few quid won't be a huge factor in choice, I wouldn't imagine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I heard on the grapevine that Ducky, among others, were contemplating releasing a LEFT hand TKL. Honestly, they should have made left side based home key TKL boards a million years ago. If these are supposed be enthusiast boards, then they should know that the more that we can get down with our left hand, the better! Imagine being able to access the home keys or arrows as additional hotkeys in games ... Also, from an ergonomics standpoint, a left oriented home key TKL would narrow the gap to the mouse even further!

Here's a post about it on Geekhack

And an article of sorts.

Looks like Vortex are onboard too.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post

I heard on the grapevine that Ducky, among others, were contemplating releasing a LEFT hand TKL. Honestly, they should have made left side based home key TKL boards a million years ago. If these are supposed be enthusiast boards, then they should know that the more that we can get down with our left hand, the better! Imagine being able to access the home keys or arrows as additional hotkeys in games ... Also, from an ergonomics standpoint, a left oriented home key TKL would narrow the gap to the mouse even further!

Here's a post about it on Geekhack

And an article of sorts.

Looks like Vortex are onboard too.
I don't like it personally. I would rather just not have the delete key cluster and arrow keys.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VindalooJim View Post

TKL boards are usually bought by enthusiasts, so saving a few quid won't be a huge factor in choice, I wouldn't imagine.
On my market(Poland) every buck count. So if someone is using search engine and TKL is first, then well... he will think twice if he really need that num section, and if not will gladly save some money for other stuff. So saying it's for enthusiasts - i have to strongly disagree.

Not only that - some people really need space. keyboard and space for mouse+mouse pad isaround 60-70 cm. It's quite a lot for some with narrow desks. so TKL is much better option. Also is advertised "compact size for professional gaming" like going with it on lans/tournaments. OKOK marketing bull****- but works fine especially on kids trust me
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:

On my market(Poland) every buck count. So if someone is using search engine and TKL is first, then well... he will think twice if he really need that num section, and if not will gladly save some money for other stuff. So saying it's for enthusiasts - i have to strongly disagree.

Not only that - some people really need space. keyboard and space for mouse+mouse pad isaround 60-70 cm. It's quite a lot for some with narrow desks. so TKL is much better option. Also is advertised "compact size for professional gaming" like going with it on lans/tournaments. OKOK marketing bull****- but works fine especially on kids trust me
smile.gif
TKL boards are rarely cheaper than their 104/105 key equivalent (I am talking model for model here).

Regarding your second paragraph, I have said the same thing in a previous post in this thread.

·
Registered
235 Posts
1st - yup they are cheaper:)(at least at my local market)

2nd - Well , yes. But i said it in context - they are not limited as a option only for enthusiasts but for ALL those looking for space

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:

1st - yup they are cheaper:)(at least at my local market)

2nd - Well , yes. But i said it in context - they are not limited as a option only for enthusiasts but for ALL those looking for space
1. At your local market- exactly.

2. I have said the same thing in a previous post in this thread.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Space, portability, ergonomics, aesthetics, possibly price. I just got a new TKL and the full size version was literally only $4 more expensive. I only use red switches for gaming and keep it plugged in but tucked away when doing office work at home etc

A left side TKL won't be for everyone and I probably won't get one as I've only just bought a normal TKL, but I think it has a lot to offer the market. I spent ages looking for a small form factor board with macro keys on the left side and only found two (one just a rebadged version of the other), so left side TKL would open that door for me or others. I mean they aren't macro keys, but I only wanted the macro keys to use as hotkeys, not for macros. The biggest problem I see with the left side set up is accidentally pressing of the -> instead of Ctrl, which I'm sure you'd get used to pretty quickly. You'd also get used to using your left hand on the home keys. Each to their own - what's important is that there is variety to choose from in order to cater for everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
The number pad positioned on the left side would be neat. You could use it for numbers like usual, or you could put actions on it in games that allow it like mentioned (or you could do stuff with AutoHotKey). Not sure I like the idea of arrow keys and Home/End etc. on the left side. I'd rather keep those on the right side.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post

To add to your reasons, it's also better for you ergonomically...there's less distance to move between your mouse and the home row so it's less strain on your right arm.

Personally, I don't need the number pad (plus I'm getting better at using the number row anyway). With TKL this leaves a bit of extra room to move my mouse around which I prefer to have over the number pad.
smile.gif
The way I sit, im positioned with both the mouse and keyboard off center.

I have a huge Model M keyboard, and I can't get away from using it because it's so amazing. Even though I have a smaller ducky shine II.

I'll be picking up one of the new razer black widow stealth TKL, and I'm used to TKL with my smaller laptops, but I much prefer a full keyboard with the number pad.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Fran I'm surprised you're going for Razer Orange if you love buckling springs so much. I guess it's a case of wanting to try it for yourself? If Razer did a revamp of Reds with less travel, I'd contemplate it, but as far as I'm concerned, browns are perfect for the purpose - if anything a little EXTRA travel would make it easier to avoid bottoming out. I feel the same way about blues too. Probably why I'm better served by clears as the extra resistance improves deceleration control.

Getting a bit OT, so my humble apologies to those who are reading.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post

Fran I'm surprised you're going for Razer Orange if you love buckling springs so much.
Yeah more of a want to try and give them a go. I like tactile switches, I wanna try some more.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts