Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my overclock, depending on whether i set the multiplier to x5.55 or x6.66 it will be either 1209 or 1512. I obviously want the higher one. i bought this corsair vengeance 8gb 1600mhz last month and had to RMA it, they now returned me some new ones they are working but not above 1333mhz. (i've heard about phenoms not liking ram higher than 1333mhz but iv'e also heard many that are running theirs fine at 1600mhz)

I am currently running at 1209mhz.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh btw i forgot to add that it boots up and all but after some time it will crash whatever program i was using at that time and then will bsod few seconds after. Only happens when running jigher than 1333

·
OG AMD
8,951 Posts
Those timings do not look right.Set it to 8-8-8-24-34 and you should reach 1600MHz no problem.The tRAS is too low for CL8.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
OC'ing always depends on many factors including the CPU/mobo/RAM. Many Phenom II CPUs will run the RAM at 1600 MHz. but that does not mean all of your hardware is willing to do so. Using 2T command rate and Slower timings might allow your RAM to OC higher or it may not depending on the CPU/mobo/RAM.

FWIW, there is NO tangible system performance gain with higher DDR3 RAM frequency unless you double the frequency. Many people see much better system performance gains by leaving the RAM frequency at the OE frequency (or lower) and upping the CPU clock as high as it will run stable. DDR3 RAM is not a bottleneck so you don't gain any real system performance like with older, slower DDR and DDR2.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Mind the RAM timings, ensure they are set manually. You may wish to increase the RAM votlage back up to 1.5V and then lower it to 1.35V again later (although it makes hardly a difference and the kit could run safely at 1.5, probably with somewhat improved timings too).

If you want the RAM to be running at closer to 1600Mhz then play with the ref clock. 240 x 6.66 = 1600Mhz operation. It's easiest to base your ref clock speed around RAM so that you know that your RAM will be running at the rated settings (or whatever you have proven stable) and then continue to raise the CPU multiplier from there. At 300Mhz bus clock x 5.33 - which gives you the most options on multiplier-locked chips - you can raise the CPU multipliers up to the point where you can run 4.5Ghz CPU (not that it will end up being stable, but you can use lower multipliers to get to a stable clock).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4ME View Post

OC'ing always depends on many factors including the CPU/mobo/RAM. Many Phenom II CPUs will run the RAM at 1600 MHz. but that does not mean all of your hardware is willing to do so. Using 2T command rate and Slower timings might allow your RAM to OC higher or it may not depending on the CPU/mobo/RAM.
FWIW, there is NO tangible system performance gain with higher DDR3 RAM frequency unless you double the frequency. Many people see much better system performance gains by leaving the RAM frequency at the OE frequency (or lower) and upping the CPU clock as high as it will run stable. DDR3 RAM is not a bottleneck so you don't gain any real system performance like with older, slower DDR and DDR2.
So are you saying that its ok to leave the freq at 1209? Little or no performance loss? in real use of course not synthetically.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mmk i'll leave it for now, i can overclock higher and get the ram to near stock spped of 1333. But, the heat is a little too much for me, especially when it gets to summer around here. I'd have to buy a new cooler but i've spent too much on this pc already i don't think its even worth it anymore. I would probably do a full system upgrade in a couple years anyway, in which im planing to get the best of the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts