Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
39,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a lot of my newer why you should not buy threads have been about units and series that where averge to mediocre at worst.

So i thought i would go back to the past and dark ages and talk about the old Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus / Tomahawk and this is going to be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Most of you older users might remember these and how good they where lol, anyway the Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus are part of the reason why Cooler Master got the bad name they had for years.

Now these are back from 2008 so they are probably all dead and gone but if you still own one of these get rid of it ASAP it needs to be killed with FIRE!
Anyone still selling these should be put in jail and i have not seen one i years so i truly hope they are all gone for good.

Let go into more details on who is the OEM´s for this turd of a series, the wattage range from 350 watts all the way up to 700 watts and none of them are in any way good in fact the word junk is the word i will use about these.

OEM for the 350 watt is Solytech aka Dear and the 390 / 400 / 460 and 500 watt are AcBel Polytech, the OEM for the 550 / 600 / 650 / 700 watt are Seventeam, going by the OEM´s some of you already known their track record and how good some of their stuff is.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page364.htm

Now before i begin i would like to say that all info pictures and testing came from hardwaresecrets so all credit goes to them.

Note that all ripple and voltage results are from the unit(s) at full load
400 watt

460 watt

500 watt

550 watt

600 watt

As you can see above all of them are tiny and very basic which already should tell you something about the build quality

Lets move on to the best part which is ripple suppression which is the worst (or best part lol) part
On ripple, and its effects on overclocking

ATX specification sets these limits on computer PSU ripple levels:

+12V - 120mV
+5V - 50mV
+3.3V - 50mV
+5VSB - 120mV
-12 - 120mV
12v1 rail ripple result 147,4mv which is 27,4mv OUTSIDE of ATX specifications

12v2 rail is not much better at 144,6mv

The 5v and 3,3v rails are inside ATX specifications so i wont list those here.
This power supply failed to deliver 460 W. The funny thing was that respecting the maximum combined power for the two +12 V rails as printed on the unit's label (test five) the power supply wouldn't turn on, as its over power protection entered in action, but pulling 460 W not respecting this information (test six) it turned on, but ripple was through the roof (220 mV). We tested to see the maximum power this unit could deliver and the results are in the next page.
Read more at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-460-w-rs-460-pmsr-a3-power-supply-review/7/#px7KHpVLLac66WOg.99

Ripple results for the 460 watt are in the 80´s which is much better then the 400 watt but still fairly mediocre

83mv

80mv
Ripple results from the 500 watt are in line with the 400 watt or in other words its terrible

12v1 149,6mv

12v2 145,4mv

Again the 500 watt 12v rails fails miserably with results outside of ATX specifications
12v1 78,4mv

12v2 88,2mv

Ripple results on the 550 watt goes back to just mediocre
The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W, like the 550 W model from the same series, can't deliver its labeled wattage. The power supply immediately burned when we tried to run our 600 W load pattern (which would be our test number 22). Inspecting the power supply after it burned we discovered that the component that failed was one of the switching transistors. It is also very important to note that due to the huge difference between what we were supposed to see at the +12 V output and the actual voltage being delivered by the power supply (e.g., +11.25 V during test number 21), the total wattage delivered by the power supply was way lower than it should be. For instance, the load pattern used during test 21 was supposed to extract 575 W from the power supply, but it was delivering 547.3 W during this test.
Read more at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-w-power-supply-review/7/#uAcM5zRDLB3cUXod.99

Efficiency peaked at 77.6% during test eight, with the unit delivering around 245 W, and reached its lowest point at 69.2%, with the unit delivering 84.0 W.

Voltage regulation was bad, with the power supply not being able to keep the +12 V output inside its correct value from test 18 (480 W) on. Therefore, it is only safe to pull up to 450 W from this power supply - above this value this power supply can make your computer to run unstable.

Noise and ripple levels, on the other hand, were very low at all times. During test 21 we saw a noise level of 33 mV at +12VA, 36.4 mV at +12VB, 19.2 mV at +5 V, 15.2 mV at +3.3 V, 16.6 mV at +5VSB and 35.4 mV at -12 V. As we always point out, the limits are 120 mV for +12 V and -12 V outputs, and 50 mV for +5 V and +3.3 V outputs, and all numbers are peak-to-peak figures.

So all in all there is almost NOTHING positive to say about these

Most cant do their rated wattage
The efficiency sucks and is below 80% on all of them
The voltage regulation blows
The ripple suppression is in most cases god awful
The build quality is below average.
The 600 watt was so bad that it burned out before it could reach its rated 600 watts.

If you still own one of these get rid of it ASAP its junk!

Reviews used
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-400-w-power-supply-review/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-460-w-rs-460-pmsr-a3-power-supply-review/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-500-w-power-supply-review/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-550-w-power-supply-review/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-w-power-supply-review/

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
wow.... just wow, never even heard of the oems ....

·
Senior OCN Member
39,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SevenTeam is infamous for how bad they are so thats a suprise you have not heard.

As for Solytech aka Dear they are pretty much the worst OEM in the world and they have never made anything that was even decent.
You see a Solytech made unit its trash and it needs to go where trash goes.

AcBel Polytech are a bit hit and miss they have some crap but they also have some stuff that is okey and their overall quality control at the factory is actually better then most OEM´s.
Their stuff is most common found in Asia so we dont see whole lot of AcBel Polytech outside of Asia.

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

SevenTeam is infamous for how bad they are so thats a suprise you have not heard.
maybe true. or maybe i ONLY look into buying quality units !!!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

maybe true. or maybe i ONLY look into buying quality units !!!
No one wants to use SevenTeam anymore due to all their shady business deals and the shady way they work.
And even if you work with them you get 70% of what you ordered weeks overdue.

So yes thank god their stuff is so rare as they are like the triads of the PSU OEM world.

But the reason why i made this thread was to show everyone what a truly bad PSU / series looks like and it does not get much worse then this.
So while most of my WYSNB threads are for mediocre and overpriced stuff there is some trash among them as well, at least most of them can do their rated wattage without burning out.

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
makes sense but the "other brand" ( you and i know what "other brand" it is ) you hate doing because of all the fans, that one....should be here, i am surprised they didnt try to throw a few of these in there every few years

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
5,277 Posts
Corsair? "Hate" on Corsair should be welcomed. Constructive criticism lead to better products.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

makes sense but the "other brand" ( you and i know what "other brand" it is ) you hate doing because of all the fans, that one....should be here, i am surprised they didnt try to throw a few of these in there every few years
Which brand are you talking about? because its not Corsair they dont have any stinkers just some basic / mediocre / overpriced stuff.
Sure the VS and CX are not great but they can do their rated wattage without blowing up or burning out.

The ones in the OP cant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts