Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i begin i would like to state that this is not a bash thead of any kind this is constructive criticism and if you dont like that stop reading right here.

Now that you have seen the title of the thread you are probley thinking wait what why? yes the title is very controversial and there is a reason for that.
And before i begin i would like to state no the Cooler Master V is not in any way bad in fact its very good which is probably going to confuse the hell out of anyone reading this.

Most of the time i use the why you should not buy name for units that are crap mediocre and not worth buying but this thread is very different and the reason for that will be talked about below.

Now many will probably recall the old Corsair RM thread and how controversial that one was and that was the point as the RM was way overpriced for what it offered, just a shame that all the Corsair fanboys and all the Corsair haters caused the thread to be locked.

Anyway back on track i just had the chance to read the techpowerup review of the Cooler Master V650 and i must say i am very disappointed.

All data and info came from techpowerup so all credit goes to them for their hard work, i claim none of this as my own.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V650/

The flaws

First the 650 watt only has one EPS and two PCI-E cables really? i mean come on this makes it one of the only 650 watt units available with only two PCI-E cables.

Second to make the first point even worse the V650 HAS slots on the modular board for two EPS or four PCI-E cables but guess what you have to pay extra for that WHAT! pay extra for cables there is already slots for? this is unacceptable.

Third while the Cooler Master V is not bad at all it is worse then lots of other stuff that is cheaper such as the EVGA SuperNova G2/P2 the Corsair RMx the FSP Hydro G the XFX XTR and the Seasonic X just to name a few.

Fourth and last the price they ask for a V is more then a G2 or an RMx despite its worse and has less features.

All in all these things make me annoyed with Cooler Mater which is the reason why i am making this thread to tell and inform all of you buyers out there that this is unacceptable.
Only way to get across to Cooler Master is to make some criticism and thats what this thread is about not to bash the Cooler Master V as its not bad or anything like that.

Lets have a look at newegg.com shall we
I see the Seasonic G at $80 ($70 after rebate) sure this is not fully modular so let that one slide
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118&cm_re=SeaSonic_SSR-650RM-_-17-151-118-_-Product

I see the FSP Hydro G for $90 ($75 after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104200&cm_re=FSP_Hydro_G-_-17-104-200-_-Product

I see the XFX XTR for $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207031&cm_re=XFX_XTR-_-17-207-031-_-Product

I see the Corsair RMx for $110 ($100 after rebate) again much better and cheaper then new fully modular Cooler Master V.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139143&cm_re=Corsair_RMx-_-17-139-143-_-Product

I see a EVGA SuperNova G2 at $105 this is both cheaper and better in every way then the new fully modular Cooler Master V.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3R87315&cm_re=EVGA_220-G2-0650-_-17-438-054-_-Product

Hell you can get a Seasonic X KM3 for $110 US on newegg right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088&cm_re=Seasonic_X-_-17-151-088-_-Product

And last we have the new fully modular Cooler Master V for a whopping $120 US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171100&cm_re=Cooler_Master_V_Series_650W-_-17-171-100-_-Product

All of the units above with the exception of the Cooler Master V has four PCI-E cables on it while the Cooler Master V only has two.
Yet you have to pay more and if you want the extra cables, these cables have bo be bought stand alone making it even more overpriced.

See my point now why should we as consumers pay more for something that is worse? what Cooler Master needs to do here is lower the price a little bit.
Now if they end up doing that i will edit this thread and remove my complaints.

Constructive criticism should lead to better products which i hope this thread will do.

Now before i go i would like to state that the best thing the fully modular Cooler Master V has going for it is its very small size as they are only 140mm long.
This mean that the V will fit in many cases where the units above simply wont fit into, so with that need in mind and if you dont mind the very high price the Cooler Master V IS your best option.

For eveyone else that dont need the very small size my advice is take your money elsewhere as you can get much better for less money and get less fan noise at the same time.
And again the new fully modular Cooler Master V units are NOT bad in any way whatsoever they are just too overpriced which is the whole point of this thread.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,121 Posts
Yea... I'm seeing it for $120 at Amazon and Newegg in the US. It's just a case of "There are better offerings out there"

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Yea... I'm seeing it for $120 at Amazon and Newegg in the US. It's just a case of "There are better offerings out there"
I belive that was the point i was trying to make yes but did see all that about you have to pay extra for cables it already has slots for but you dont get and all that right?
Dont know what the cables cost but lets say they are $20 (without shipping) which makes the price $140 US which is way more then any of the others.

I think Cooler Master is going to far this time.
But again i am not saying the V is bad in fact its very good.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:
First off no hybrid fan mode? sure its not a must but really?
I have to disagree a bit.
No hybrid fan mode is more of a pro than con, if done right. The noise is an issue due to poor fan control, not due to the lack of hybrid fan mode.
This unit uses an FDB fan and could be practically just as silent in idle, and quieter under load than the evga equivalents (that use ball bearings), if it wasn't ruined by poor fan control.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

I have to disagree a bit.
No hybrid fan mode is more of a pro than con, really. The noise is an issue due to poor fan control, not due to the lack of hybrid fan mode.
This unit uses an FDB fan and could be practically just as silent in idle, and quieter under load than the evga equivalents (that use ball bearings), if it wasn't ruined by poor fan control.
I did say its not a must but at least they could give you a switch that will give you the option if its on or off like almost all of the other units have.
The old Cooler Master V did not have a hybrid fan mode either and almost no one has complained about the noise on those so yead i could strike that part of my complaints.

Edit: never mind i just removed that part as you are right.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Good write up as always Shilka.

I recently replaced my Thermaltake 650w (started to whine and shutoff - Shilka warned me about this in 2014-2015) with a EVGA 650w GS (Seasonic) and it only cost me 80-90 at Microcenter. Glad Shilka is here to be the PSU police and tell us what we should buy
thumb.gif

·
Registered
263 Posts
In my country the Cooler Master V650 is priced the same as the Corsair RM650X and the EVGA G2 650.

But yeah - Cooler Master has once again delivered an overpriced PSU (compared to its competitors) with too few cables.
If you want to run 2 970 in SLI you'll have to buy 2 Asus 970s cause they only have 1 8-pin PEG...

You're better off buying the Corsair RM650X, Evga G2 650 or Super Flower Leadex Platinum 650w (in my country, that is).
But then again you should also ask yourself the question what you'll be using a 650w model for.

It's funny that my Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550w has 3 PCI-E connectors; all 3 are 6+2 pins
biggrin.gif

But good post again Shilka: Cooler Master has to either lower the price or give more cables.
It's quite sad because the actual PSU design and build quality are excellent..

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looked at the CM US store and an extra 8 pin EPS cable is going to cost $8 so thats another $8 on top of the $120 it already costs and then there is shipping as i could not find said cable on newegg.
This means you have to order from two places and pay shipping for both.

Could not find the PCI-E cables for the V on the CM US store but i would assume they are also $8 US so thats $136 plus shipping ($16 for two PCI-E cables)
You can go and get any number of units that are much better for less then $110 US.

Include those cables or lower the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV617 View Post

Good write up as always Shilka.

I recently replaced my Thermaltake 650w (started to whine and shutoff - Shilka warned me about this in 2014-2015) with a EVGA 650w GS (Seasonic) and it only cost me 80-90 at Microcenter. Glad Shilka is here to be the PSU police and tell us what we should buy
thumb.gif
Well the EVGA GS is not really all that great either as the voltage regulation is kind of average.
On the other hand the GS pretty cheap so at least they are not way overpriced like the old Corsair RM or these new Cooler Master V units are.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Well the EVGA GS is not really all that great either as the voltage regulation is kind of average.
On the other hand the GS pretty cheap so at least they are not way overpriced like the old Corsair RM or these new Cooler Master V units are.
That is good to know, when I build my next rig I will probably get a G2 to accompany it. But as far as bang for buck goes, I'm very happy with my GS. It is silent compared to my rear exhaust fan and has not whined or shutdown on me one time. My Thermaltake PSU was whining loud and had shutdown my PC twice in the middle of ESEA pugs. I don't think I would've suspected the power supply unless I read your posts Shilka.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should update your sig then as your old Thermaltake is still listed under it.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,583 Posts
Quote:

Just looked at the CM US store and an extra 8 pin EPS cable is going to cost $8 so thats another $8 on top of the $120 it already costs and then there is shipping as i could not find said cable on newegg.
This means you have to order from two places and pay shipping for both.
Couldn't you just use another PSU cables to fill in the empty slots on the CM's power supply, when you need to use them?

You would save money instead of forking out any more.........

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrick View Post

Couldn't you just use another PSU cables to fill in the empty slots on the CM's power supply, when you need to use them?

You would save money instead of forking out any more.........
No you cant use any other cable then the ones meant for the V as the pin layout dont match.
Only non CM cables that match are the CableMod cables and you do get 4-6 PCI-E cables from them if you buy a full cable set.

But a full CableMod set is even more money then just two extra PCI-E cables.
A basic CableMod kit would be a little bit cheaper but still a lot more then 2 two PCI-E cables.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've bought the v750 three months ago, because I could fit a powerpack in my node, overclock ready, with two pci cables. Can't argue it's really expensive, but you can't find an alternative except the strider series from SilverStone.

I would be happy with it if I hadn't to RMA it, but I hope it's an isolated case (had a heavy rattling noise).

I totally understand the review, not having two pci cables is just stupid for a modern 650w.

·
Volt addicted OC fanatic
582 Posts
I got the previous one, the VSM V750, but I got it on sale. I wouldn't get this one on sale though, even though it's modular instead of semi modular it wouldn't be a better choice because of that pwr_on flaw.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PloniAlmoni View Post

I got the previous one, the VSM V750, but I got it on sale. I wouldn't get this one on sale though, even though it's modular instead of semi modular it wouldn't be a better choice because of that pwr_on flaw.
The older semi modular version is much better then the new fully modular one.
So there is no reason to get the fully modular one.

·
Volt addicted OC fanatic
582 Posts
Quote:

The older semi modular version is much better then the new fully modular one.
So there is no reason to get the fully modular one.
I agree. Speaking of cables, I don't spot an extra PCI-E cable for this PSU either, I've thought of adding an old Nvidia GPU as a Physx coprocessor using special modded drivers to my r9 290 system, but most of the cheapest options in that regard require one PCIE connector (I think 6 pin, but I might be mistaken and its 8). Does Cooler Master or someone else sell compatible PCIE cables for the VSM V750?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CableMod has cables for the V but you cant just buy a few cables you either have to buy the basic or the full set.
CableMod individually paracord braided PSU cables

But the V750 does come with four 4 PCI-E cables so have you lost the last two?

·
Volt addicted OC fanatic
582 Posts
Maybe I lost them, I use two of them, 6 pin and 8 pin to power my r9 290. I can't find my modular PCIE cable, if it had one. The sad thing is replacements are very expensive, the entire kit that you mentioned runs $99.95 in the one supplier in the US that carries them - that's more than I can justify for a mere PhysX coprocessor setup when the used card's only about $30.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I got kinda confused when you said 'Cooler Master V has four PCI-E cables on it while the Cooler Master V only has two.'

·
Senior OCN Member
39,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

I got kinda confused when you said 'Cooler Master V has four PCI-E cables on it while the Cooler Master V only has two.'
You need to read it again as it says All of the units above with the exception of the Cooler Master V has four PCI-E cables on it while the Cooler Master V only has two.

The old semi modular V had only two ports and two cables while the new fully modular V has four ports but only two cables.
If you want the last two cables for the last two ports on the new fully modular V you have to buy them yourself as you dont get them with the PSU.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts