Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are video cards up-side-down? Dosent hot air rise? Pluse some of them look good why would put them upside down?

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
My best guess is thats the way it was first done when computers were in the desktop configuration. Nowon has ever changed it...

·
Banned
39 Posts
No, it is pushed to the sides and then the hot air rises upward. There is always air flow going through the case so it will not sit under the video card.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm..... well dont you think it is stange how they make them look nice and you dont really see them.. and another thing.. im building a rig, the cpu heatsink i was lookin at is afwul heavy, are there any stories of one fallin out and destroying a video card? or completly taking a cpu with it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by storm22

hmmm..... well dont you think it is stange how they make them look nice and you dont really see them.. and another thing.. im building a rig, the cpu heatsink i was lookin at is afwul heavy, are there any stories of one fallin out and destroying a video card? or completly taking a cpu with it?

yeah probably, but if you secure it good and how it says in the instructions it should be fine. And when taking it off, just rotate the heatsink left and right until it comes easily off the processor. You just have to be careful, thats all.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeah, i was thinking the same thing (about the graffix card thing) seems a shame their upside down, i suppose it could also be that the graffix card pulls the cold air from the bottom of the case?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<===== look at the nice gpu in my sig!!! wouldent that be nice if were uv reactive fan cover?, say blue??

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Well, ISA cards face up when they are in the case, but when they released PCI, they flipped it. AGP is built on PCI, so I guess they just kept the same card orientation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwaihaijoe

ahh just mod your case!! why bother to check inside!

lol i like youre avatar
ya the modding potential would be great, also if they had uv light's, it would be the end of having lights on the top and bottom of your case becuase the video card blocks it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts