Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i been looking for a dedicated physx card

now i found the Asus GeForce 9800GT Matrix 512MB and thought it would go nicely with my 5870 matrix from asus.

i would like to keep cost down and an matrix card would be nice for the overall looks.

this card for physx is just to enable physx in the few games that have it, i dont do folding.

is this a good card for physx or should i go with an gts240/250 or gtx450/460 ?

here is a picture of it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
9800gt is pretty much perfect for physx
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Farih

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can get this matrix version for 100,- euro
i see other 9800gt's for 86,- euro

paying 14 euro more for looks and more silent cooler i dont mind

i can also get gts250 or a gtx450 for 122,- euro

i have seen a gtx460 for 145,- euro

what would be the best choise ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
think ill go with the 9800gt matrix then, semi cheap and silent.

will you notice a big difference in performance if the physx card would be a gtx450/460 instead of an 9800gt ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,447 Posts
I'll give you an example, with my 9800gtx+ I only get 60% usage in Batman AA.
Which is one one of the games using the most PHYSX, so a gtx 450 should give you more than enough head room for a long time.

Before I was using a 8800gts, and usage was around 70% if I remember right.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i was thinking of the 9800gt matrix becuase of the looks and it beeing very silent. this card will cost me 100, euro.

i been reading that a gts250 is a rebranded 9800gt and that a gts450 is basicly the same with directx11.

the next best thing for physx should be a gtx460 then.
i found 2 cheap gtx460's

1.Gainward GeForce GTX 460 GOOD 768 MB for 145,- euro


2.MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 768D5/OC 768 MB for 150,- euro


Will these cards be alot better for physx compared to an 9800gt ?
will these be silent like the 9800gt matrix ?
is it worth the extra money ?

if not ill go on and order the 9800gt matrix today
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btw, i been reading a gts240 will do the job to.
i can get an gts240 for just 65,- euro and a passive one for 85,- [i like silence]

to many options now lol


go cheap with a gts240 or cheapest silent solution [65,- to 85,-]
go with looks and silence for 9800gt matrix [100,-]
or go more future proof with an gtx460 [dunno if its overkill for just physx] [145, to 150,-]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih View Post
btw, i been reading a gts240 will do the job to.
i can get an gts240 for just 65,- euro and a passive one for 85,- [i like silence]

to many options now lol


go cheap with a gts240 or cheapest silent solution [65,- to 85,-]
go with looks and silence for 9800gt matrix [100,-]
or go more future proof with an gtx460 [dunno if its overkill for just physx] [145, to 150,-]
A 9800GT or GTS240 will both be fine. Those are both better than my 9600GSO and my 9600 works just fine.

So many people getting dedicated physX cards lately lol.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Farih

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander View Post
A 9800GT or GTS240 will both be fine. Those are both better than my 9600GSO and my 9600 works just fine.

So many people getting dedicated physX cards lately lol.
how does this work for you ?
we both got a 5870 as main card.
can you play every game with physx on max ?

if so i am tending for a passively cooled gts240 then, cheap, no noise and no power connectors either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih View Post
how does this work for you ?
we both got a 5870 as main card.
can you play every game with physx on max ?

if so i am tending for a passively cooled gts240 then, cheap, no noise and no power connectors either.
If I max out batman I get around 33FPS 60fps. I did a physX comparison a while back let me try and find it...

Also I can max out metro 2033 with around 34 fps as well... 45-50 with advanced AOF turned off.

Opps nvm I guess batman FPS was higher. Its been a while since I played it. I do know that metro is around 33fps.

HERE is the link to my physX comparison thread. And here is the link to a short video testing performance in metro. Settings are in the comment and you can see them in the beginning of the video. Also with the Advanced AOF turned off, I get around 45-50fps. Advanced AOF is worthless.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thx

33 fps is a bare minimum i think though.. somewhere between 45-60 fps is more like it i think. but maybe that has nothing to do with the 9600gso as physx card right ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih View Post
ok thx

33 fps is a bare minimum i think though.. somewhere between 45-60 fps is more like it i think. but maybe that has nothing to do with the 9600gso as physx card right ?
I'm running a 9800gtx+ as a PhysX card right now, and I haven't seen it reach max load yet. Haven't tried Mafia 2, though. Not sure how much worse the 9600 would be for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
why not go with the gts 450?
even if it is overkill for pshyx now , maybe you can use it for something else if you want too, and the price is really good right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih View Post
ok thx

33 fps is a bare minimum i think though.. somewhere between 45-60 fps is more like it i think. but maybe that has nothing to do with the 9600gso as physx card right ?
In Metro it is perfectly playable at the ~30 fps, however turning off AOF bumps it way up to around 45, and I was wrong about the batman scores. Havent played that game in a while and they are up in the 50 and 60fps range.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander View Post
In Metro it is perfectly playable at the ~30 fps, however turning off AOF bumps it way up to around 45, and I was wrong about the batman scores. Havent played that game in a while and they are up in the 50 and 60fps range.
lol u will never be able to play metro on ATI hardware with tessellation enabled at 1920x1200 res at 30fps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSoul View Post
lol u will never be able to play metro on ATI hardware with tessellation enabled at 1920x1200 res at 30fps.

Sigh...such fanboy remarks are unwanted on this forum. Get out. Why dont you look at my video before posting such ignorant remarks. FYI yes you can and I do it every time I play Metro. Get over yourself.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top