Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heck of a first post, but Im having a real wierd high temp problem.
I checked my temps today and my full load temp and no load temp are the same. my fan also runs at high speed at all times.
to be honest I dont know when this started, but it wasnt this way last week.
my temps were 60-62*c full load and about 40*c no load.
now temp is staying around 62*c
anyone have any ideas?

Full Load

No Load

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no oc yet.
with the exception of the case and PSU it is exactly the way it came from *lowers head in shame* HP 8mo's ago untill this friday when I get my new mobo.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BIOS says 66*c with fan rpm around 2600

if Im remembering right it seems like every time Ive checked in my bios in the past its been around 66*
is it possable there is some thing running in windows but isnt showing up when checking cpu usage? I just restored windows yesterday with out formating the hd(didnt want to loose every thing) and I noticed this prob today.
Hmmm Im a bit confused

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, Ive got the latest bios that HP provides.

Im curious. the PSU from HP has slightly dif wiring in the conector for the MB connector than my new PSU. the hp has a red and pink wire together and one wire missing from the connector. my new PSU has just a red wire in that spot, and there is a white wire in place of where the HP psu has no wire.

Im thinking incompatabilty issue between this PSU and the HP propriety mobo.

any idea if I could be right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
heey, i think your cpu is damaged. i had one also with high temps (2 days old), i brought it back to the store, they gave me a new one, and the temps were fine. maybe that's the problem!

·
Registered
126 Posts
what kind of regular cooling do u have in there?

i know my case/cpu was running way hot, then i realized that i had the fans pointed in the wrong direction... *slaps forehead*

just a suggestion. though if it's only been like this for a week, and wasn't before try taking off the side of yer case and booting up with that, if the temp doesn't lower then something is wrong with yer cpu or the temp monitor.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my fan is running at 4300+ rpm so I dont think its that.

I took the side off of my case and my idle temp went down to 59*. I then put the side back on and the temp stayed at 59* till I put it under load.

Ive now had it under full load running prime95 torture test for over 3 hrs, there have not been any kind of stability problems and the temp has not gone above 61*

so it seems to be some thing affecting idle temp only.
I should have my new mobo with in a few days so I guess I just have to wait and see what it does then.

·
Registered
343 Posts
take your finger and just touch the heat sink...if it feels a little more than wam you have problems...my old A7N8X-E had a wierd thing where it would display farinheight (bad speller) temp but it would have the C for celisus next to it...after touching the heatsink i knew it wasnt near what the bios was reading....just a tip

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
first let me say thank you to you all for replying to a noob

second I got my win xp install disk in the mail today.
I did a fresh clean install of windows(rather than using HP's recovery partition)
and my temps seem to be back to what they should be.

any one have any idea what could have happened?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts