Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay well lately i been thinking how could i keep the coolant cooler without to much modding or adding more wires **** like that. i have see on frozencpu and usp drink chiller and today i finally came across this thing i havent seen in a long time.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...2a6c6cf16f86bb

so what if you mounted your res inside it not a big one but say you just doing a cpu loop couldnt you in fact keep temps lover.

just a though idk if im going to try it byt i think i just might

·
Registered
828 Posts
Time and time again, people ask about the CPU/Fridge combination. It just won't work. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but yes.

Fridges are meant to keep things cold, not to cool things down (think about that one...).

People have asked about using actual mini-fridges, this USB powered one obviously won't hold up very long.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Refrigerators do not keep things cold because they have a phase for cool down. During that time, whatever you are trying to cool will also cool down which means it will have it's temperature increased, and that would just kill the point of having it cooled the first place.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
idea. fridge + rad = ?

i know you cant put a pc in a fridge to keep it cool, but what if you modded the fridge to house only the radiator? seeing as how fridges keep thing a few degrees above freezing, wouldnt it work?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
How are you going to seal the fridge from the outside world when there are 2 pipes opening the door...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In a nutshell, none of the above will work, at least not for more than a couple of days. The problem is that the heat output of a CPU is greater than the maximum continuous cooling capacity of a fridge.

The USB coolers don't have enough power to cool a can of soda in under an hour (personal experience).

The fridge/freezer idea may work initially, but the compressor will have to run 24/7, which the motor was not designed to do, leading to it burning out in a short amount of time.

You're better off modifying a window air conditioner. Those have a better duty cycle, and are actually designed to cool quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts