Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going insane here. Ever since last week I've been having major issues with my WiFi connectivity... I log on to PSN fine, then I start Netflix, or VuDu and after about 5 to 10 minutes of streaming, I get dropped off PSN and signed out... To reconnect I have to completely reconnect by either testing my internet connection, or rebooting the PS3. Also sometimes once I do get booted once I close out the program that lost connection with the PS3 will just plain reboot after beeping a couple of times.

I also have had it lock up on me a few times, it seems to have only happened when using Vudu, so I'm thinking maybe that program is glitchy being a first release? And no it's not from overheating.

Has this happened to anyone?

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
I experienced nothing but problems with WiFi on my PS3. I had to get my old Linksys out and create a wireless bridge from my main AP and use ethernet to my PS3 for it to play nice.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibbz;11975236
Go to "Network Settings" and disable "Media Server Connection."
I did that and reset the router. It's dropped a couple of times, but not as bad... I'm thinking I'm going to have to try and drill a hole and get a cat 5 or cat 6 cable up to the ps3....

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Neither me nor my friends (bout 5 of them) have ever had a problem with the PS3 on Wifi. Must be your router.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777th;11975678
Neither me nor my friends (bout 5 of them) have ever had a problem with the PS3 on Wifi. Must be your router.
I'd agree to that IF I always had this issue. I've had the PS3 since May and only last week did this issue start. Not sure what the issue is. Argh...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
What signal level do you have? Do a network test in the Playstation settings.

I have never had an issue at all. It just works.

But, my D-link router definitely has an issue now. Channel 6 will not broadcast correctly anymore. It was driving me up the wall. Everything looked fine, even checked with Spectrum Analyzer. The router just has a terrible time with that specific frequency anymore. I had to roll over to channel 11.

I know the airspace is clean, I even tried one of the Cisco 1142's I have. Worked great on 6, the D-link just fell on it's face.

So, change the channel in your router to something different. You can only use 1,6 or 11. See if that helps.

·
Loosing Vision
1,894 Posts
I think you are looking at the Router unit failing. I had this issue awhile back and my gear is all battery backup and still this one just did the same thing.

You can try to Flash the WiFi Router with that alternate BIOS that some swear by. Located here. DD-WRT

Anyways you may want to try to power is down for awhile and let it cool off. The router may be overheating due to the Mvolts causing the unit to fail.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryBummer
View Post

I think you are looking at the Router unit failing. I had this issue awhile back and my gear is all battery backup and still this one just did the same thing.

You can try to Flash the WiFi Router with that alternate BIOS that some swear by. Located here. DD-WRT

Anyways you may want to try to power is down for awhile and let it cool off. The router may be overheating due to the Mvolts causing the unit to fail.

I'd borrow a friend's router to test this theory. If signal still drops on his friend's router, it's his PS3.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits_N_Gravy;11975995
What signal level do you have? Do a network test in the Playstation settings.

I have never had an issue at all. It just works.

But, my D-link router definitely has an issue now. Channel 6 will not broadcast correctly anymore. It was driving me up the wall. Everything looked fine, even checked with Spectrum Analyzer. The router just has a terrible time with that specific frequency anymore. I had to roll over to channel 11.

I know the airspace is clean, I even tried one of the Cisco 1142's I have. Worked great on 6, the D-link just fell on it's face.

So, change the channel in your router to something different. You can only use 1,6 or 11. See if that helps.
I'll try changing the channel. Mine has always been on 6. My connection is always at 95 percent, never drops lower, ever.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilmak
View Post

I'll try changing the channel. Mine has always been on 6. My connection is always at 95 percent, never drops lower, ever.

It'll be good to test the channel.

My signal never dropped. Always between 95 and 100%. The router just had hoards of fragmentation on that specific frequency, indicating an issue with the router. A change of channel helped. Also, there were no indications of interference. I checked with Spectrum Analyzer.

Now this may not be your issue, but it's really easy to check.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I set it up wired... At first it acted a bit odd, downloading a 18MB app said it was going to take 18 hours to download.... and Netflix dropped / PSN dropped out after about 2 minutes of Netflix play. SOO I unplugged the cat 5, replugged it in, then uninstalled netflix, deleted all its saved game material, then reinstalled it. This time it took seconds to download, and so fare it's played fine with no disconnects.

Maybe it was just Netflix being glitchy all this time and needing to be reinstalled? To test this theory I'd need to go back to wireless.... As for now all is fine after I reconnected the second time via wired. Download speeds are fast, etc.

If I continue to have issues after this I'm going to say something is going bad on the PS3 and it's going in for warranty repair. It's not the router as I have 2 cell phones, 2 laptops all connected flawlessly via wireless, as well as 3 wired connections all have zero issues. It's only been the PS3.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by /Ben;12019001
If you're still having problems with wireless, I have a few original Wi-Fi PCB's.
I just went wired. I think in the end it was Road Runner though. I need them to come to the house as I'm starting to drop out on the computer as well.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Figured it wasnt the PS3 glad you got it sorted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts