Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Office.../dp/B002Q4U9PY
$130 Patriot Box Office + Free 802.11g USB + Free Shipping +1yr Wired magazine - $30 Rebate = $99

A review: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1136/1/

Quote:
File formats supported
Audio Decoding - WMA, MP3, Real Audio (RA)
Image Decoding - JPEG, BMP, PNG
Video Decoding - *[MPEG-1] MPG/MPEG/DAT
*[MPEG-2] MPG/MPEG/VOB/ISO /IFO/TS/TP/M2TS
*[MPEG-4] MP4/AVI/MOV
*[H.264/AVC] MKV/TS/AVI/MOV/M2TS
*[DviX 3/4/5/6, Xvid] AVI/MKV
*[WMV9] WMV
*[FLV] FLV
[Real Video 8/9/10] RM/RMVB support up to 720p
Subtitle - SRT, MicroDVD SUB, SSA, SUB/IDX
*Support up to 1080p

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump....

Same price but Amazon is also giving a 1 year subscription to Wired Magazine free.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine comes in today!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
O-M-G i want one. SO AWESOME. good find. +rep.

bookmarked. this will be a good Christmas gift.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
This thing legitimately looks awesome. It plays all formats and has a network connection. Does this thing make you format the HD you have or can I plug in my media HD into it and be up and running?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceMaker
View Post

This thing legitimately looks awesome. It plays all formats and has a network connection. Does this thing make you format the HD you have or can I plug in my media HD into it and be up and running?

reformat.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
reformat.
That's crap! (Sean Connery voice)

·
Registered
132 Posts
So should I be able to plug up a hard drive full of ripped DVD's to this unit and play?

What else can I do with this, why would someone pick this over a HTPC?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini77
View Post

So should I be able to plug up a hard drive full of ripped DVD's to this unit and play?

No, that was my question on pg1.... it forces you to reformat the HD.

This is much cheaper than an HTPC and you can play all formats out of the box, no need to fuss with settings. Note, this doesn't look like it comes with a wireless adaptor, you have to buy that seperately.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Su77en187
View Post

Does this stream Hulu and/or Youtube? I can't find any info on that!

No. I don't think it supports PlayOn either: http://www.playon.tv/playon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini77
View Post

No... you have to install the HD and then transfer media to the HD. The HD is optional as it can stream movies. If you want to just watch movies on a TV + don't need Internet/DVR features + have $100, this is it.

Quote:

View Post

No, that was my question on pg1.... it forces you to reformat the HD.

This is much cheaper than an HTPC and you can play all formats out of the box, no need to fuss with settings. Note, this doesn't look like it comes with a wireless adaptor, you have to buy that seperately.

The 802.11g adapter is free if you buy the combo. I paid $130 shipped for both and have a $30 rebate.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Quote:

The 802.11g adapter is free if you buy the combo. I paid $130 shipped for both and have a $30 rebate.

I didn't see that.... but
thats a good deal! I want to know if it's a good unit though. Be sure to post up a review.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

View Post

I didn't see that.... but
thats a good deal! I want to know if it's a good unit though. Be sure to post up a review.

It is the same hardware as the Asus O!Play or Xstreamer so you can read their reviews as well.

Oh! Xstreamer just released their source code: http://xtreamer.net/company/hot-news...load.aspx#1471

That means developers will probably be able to mod the Box Office as well!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it late last night so I haven't had time to playback anything yet.

However, here are my initial impressions:
* The case is thick brushed aluminum... very nice. It's also smaller than I thought.

* The fan is audible in a quiet room from 3ft away. However, when watching something at normal volumes and from 6ft away, it shouldn't be an issue.

* The controls are relatively responsive (an issue I've heard with some other players). There's maybe .5s lag occassionally.

If I had to change anything, it would be to optimize the layout. They could have moved the HDD slot over just a bit and upgrade the fan to a 40mm. Inside the casing there is about .25in space above and below the hardware. They could have easily made the heatsink a bit taller then (and lower the need for the fan). The heatsink also only just covers the Realtek chip. They could have made the heatsink larger as well (something that I'll try to replace if it's not expoyed on.)

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The combo deal + MIR is up again.

Patriot will replace any noise fan as well:

Quote:

Issue: abnormal high pitch fan noises.

Cause of the issue: Fan axel lubricant leakage

Replacement procedure:

Send an email to...

to: [email protected]
subject: PBO Fan Replacement 9331

First, Last Name
Shipping address
Place where you purchase the unit
Product serial code which you can find from...
1) product packaging
2) internal drive cage by removing the shell of the enclosure

• Rep+
Reactions: EvilGenius007

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Damn, the comments are full of such idiocy. Take a look at this gem.

Quote:

So far, I'm super impressed by the Box Office performance. The only thing that I was bummed about was when I was streaming my movies from my PC, the quality was sub-par and they came out slightly pixilated. That's only because I was playing compressed movie files (designed to view on a 17" notebook display) on a 46" LCD TV display. I was eager to test out how the Box Office handles HD movies so I decided to download the Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 HD trailers from youtube and was I blown away!!! I am now fully convinced that my hard earned cash was not wasted on this product. *patting myself on the back*

/facepalm. Just out of curiousity, anyone have a clue as to what type of processor is inside this thing?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability
View Post

/facepalm. Just out of curiousity, anyone have a clue as to what type of processor is inside this thing?

Realtek RTD1073DD.

It's a newer system on chip (SoC) that used in the Asus O!Play and ACRyan PlayOn. It also similar to the one in Xtreamer.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Realtek RTD1073DD.

It's a newer system on chip (SoC) that used in the Asus O!Play and ACRyan PlayOn. It also similar to the one in Xtreamer.

Duckie... do you need software to stream to it like PS3 Media Server? Also this will work with 1080P mkv's no stuttering? I read the review just want to make sure?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts