Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am going to upgrade my GPU form nvidia 8500gt to 4650 from ATI but i dont know if my PSU will take it since i think its a bad PSU. i bought it from HP.

I have picture on the side of the PSU if it helps.
LL

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
It might work, but may be unstable in games/under load, especially as that's a no name PSU, which mostly are known for underperforming.

I'm sure everyone here will say upgrade your PSU, as it could damage your whole system if it goes bad.

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
You'll find lots of users saying that it'll work, but like tmunn says, no one's going to recommend it.

For example, I have a 4850 on a 400W PSU (recommended is 450 minimum), and it's been going strong for about 6 months. I definitely wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it, though, because that recommendation might end up costing them money and time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kk any recomendation to a new GPU then for 300w??
Am not going to buy new PSU anyway, beacuse am buying a new one in sept. as i said earlier

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by svart0
View Post

Hey i am going to upgrade my GPU form nvidia 8500gt to 4650 from ATI but i dont know if my PSU will take it since i think its a bad PSU. i bought it from HP.

I have picture on the side of the PSU if it helps.

Whats the rest of the rig composed of? It actually might work, people have run a 4870+ a core i7 860 on a 300watt silverstone psu.(Thing is the silverstone is a pretty good unit).
If I'm reading the sticker right, its a delta psu? I'm pretty sure it should suffice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3ghz
4 gig RAM , dont know name
8500GT
300W
500GB Seagate Barracuda 7500RPM
1 120Fan(back)

·
User of the PC
2,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911
View Post

don't do it if you want to risk your system. It will run it but for how long is the question.

Note: that isn't allot of improvement(for modern games). I would replace the psu, and then wait for more cash for a better gpu.

+1 on that, get a better PSU first, then a new GPU

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

View Post

i got

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3ghz
4 gig RAM , dont know name
8500GT
300W
500GB Seagate Barracuda 7500RPM
1 120Fan(back)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...650_OC/24.html
Check that out, it says with an e8400 and a 4650, the system draws 150 watts on full load, if you add another 60 watts to that to make the tdp equal to a x2 6000, thats around 210 watts. I think you should be straight unless the 4650 has extra power connectors (none of the ones I've seen have any so I think you should be straight, also no power connectors means that it pulls less than 75 watts of power)
P.S. If you're shopping for a 4650, I have an asus low profile version that I only used for a week as a backup. PM me if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I am going to say it will be fine. That card won't pull much more than the 8500GT you have in there now. 19A on your 12V rail is gonna be fine. Go ahead and play some games without worry.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:

View Post

kk any recomendation to a new GPU then for 300w??
Am not going to buy new PSU anyway, beacuse am buying a new one in sept. as i said earlier

So what's the point of getting a low-performance gpu if you will eventually upgrade your psu down the road?
I say, save your money to upgrade the two. I always recommend upgrading the psu to at least 500w min.

If you're not going to use the gpu for gaming, then your current setting will work.
If not, then your gaming will stress your psu at full load and will either restart on its own or I believe a blue-screen. Most likely the restart will definitely happen if the psu is over-stressed.

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
I am running a 5670 and a q9550 on a 250W psu, you guys are all talking BULL!

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!

Your psu can take 19A on the 12v rail. Power = Current x Voltage, so you have 19 x 12 watts, which is around 230W. MORE than enough for a 4650 and your dual core athlon lol.

Arexniba, what the hell? 'I always recommend 500W minimum'. Would you recommend 500W for an ION build then? Lmao. SUCH fail in this thread from most people.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
I am running a 5670 and a q9550 on a 250W psu, you guys are all talking BULL!

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!

Your psu can take 19A on the 12v rail. Power = Current x Voltage, so you have 19 x 12 watts, which is around 230W. MORE than enough for a 4650 and your dual core athlon lol.

Arexniba, what the hell? 'I always recommend 500W minimum'. Would you recommend 500W for an ION build then? Lmao. SUCH fail in this thread from most people.
Why not? I follow the recommendations, I don't go based off on other people's setups. That's why people that piggy-back ride on other's setups are the ones that fail.

That's why all the manufacturer's put up minimum requirements for a reason...right? I don't see anywhere they would put "ask others and follow their advice to a T."

So ya, with that in mind, I still keep my recommendation, "500w min."

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,705 Posts
Try a 4350 if you have a 300W PSU, it should work great. Performance won't be quite as good as a 4650 but, but it works pretty good if your Res isnt too high.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
I ran a 4650 overclocked to 750MHz on a 220w PSU for 8 months. That should be proof enough.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts