Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I have right now is a 7200 rpm IDE HDD.<br>
Since my next rig will have SATA, I have to get a new one.<br>
So I could either get one with 10000 rpm <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136054" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136054</a><br>
or save the money and get a normal one with 7200 rpm.<br>
(I really dont need a gig more than the Raptor has.)<br><br>
So my question is, will that HDD speed make any difference in gaming?<br>
And<br>
is there something even faster? (And dont say raid, thats not faster for gaming.)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If you have the money RAID 0 them, If you don't, don't worry

·
Registered
306 Posts
You will load alot faster , but you probably won't notice in-game performance unless you need to load something from the HDD , which really isn't the case.

·
Retired
2,423 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>CIAagent11</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">And<br>
is there something even faster? (And dont say raid, thats not faster for gaming.)</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
RAID isnt faster in gaming? Sure it is, when loading maps and such. Anyways, only thing faster than a raptor is a SCSI 15k Cheetah (i think thats what they are called).

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Cheetahs are redonkulas, The price has dropped a lot since I first saw em in the winter

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got told that Raid0 only is fast when you handle huge masses of data.<br>
Like video editing or using it as a server.

·
Retired
2,423 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div style="font-style:italic;">I got told that Raid0 only is fast when you handle huge masses of data.<br>
Like video editing or using it as a server.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Thats just not true at all. RAID0 is faster in just about every instance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
<div style="font-style:italic;">I got told that Raid0 only is fast when you handle huge masses of data.<br>
Like video editing or using it as a server.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Wrongg. ^^

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
<div style="font-style:italic;">What I have right now is a 7200 rpm IDE HDD.<br>
Since my next rig will have SATA, I have to get a new one.<br>
So I could either get one with 10000 rpm <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136054" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136054</a><br>
or save the money and get a normal one with 7200 rpm.<br>
(I really dont need a gig more than the Raptor has.)<br><br>
So my question is, will that HDD speed make any difference in gaming?<br>
And<br>
is there something even faster? (And dont say raid, thats not faster for gaming.)</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Actually..RAID is faster....all the time...so I dono sup with that.<br><br>
Honestly..the only thing faster than raptors is RAIDed raptors...or a few more RAIDed regular HDDs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strange, the more I get into all this computer and hardware knowledge, I see that there are not always clear answers.<br>
I was a Raid0 enthusiast, but I gave it up after the techician at my computer<br>
store told me that its not worth it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I personally would prefer two Raid0 7200RPM drives then a raptor.<br>
But i can wait a extra few seconds for loads and startup, would rather have the storage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>BenHagerty</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">He is crazy</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yeah, at some points I know a lot more than him.<br>
I mean, all he does all day is installing windows for housewifes.<br><br>
Edit:
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Mystikx</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I personally would prefer two Raid0 7200RPM drives then a raptor.<br>
But i can wait a extra few seconds for loads and startup, would rather have the storage.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Please explain. How does it work that that is faster?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
<div style="font-style:italic;">Strange, the more I get into all this computer and hardware knowledge, I see that there are not always clear answers.<br>
I was a Raid0 enthusiast, but I gave it up after the techician at my computer<br>
store told me that its not worth it.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
If you were an enthusiast...shouldn't you have known what you were talking about? lol<br><br>
RAID-0 is great for games, and also great for everything else you do. My favourite is encoding CDs to mp3 using iTunes...takes barely any time at all now that I got my RAID-0 setup. ~1 minute for a whole CD.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
retail people never know anything. the only time that HDD speed makes a difference is loading/saving - when the HDD is being accessed. You will not see programs running faster or more FPS, but load times will improve.

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
RAID 0 is only faster in loading times of XP and games/apps that exist on that particular drive. You will not see an improvement in Frame Rates in games at all, obviously because framerates are CPU/GPU/RAM dependant.<br><br>
But trust me it's worth it, i'd never use a single drive again. And with my two drives in RAID 0 i get faster speeds than that of Ultra SCSI at nowhere near the cost of Ultra SCSI (cos we now how pricey those can be) and that's all good in my book.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The people at the store THINKS they know everything. But they really know ****. RAID the two 7200RPM drives and you'll be satisfied. If you have the cash to spare then RAID two Raptors[10K RPM].

1 - 18 of 18 Posts