Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been eyeballing the EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra for a while now and since its tax season im planning to grab it but a friend brought up a good point, my system is fairly old and im a bit worried id be wasting my money because of a bottleneck. I currently have my 4790K OC to 4.7GHz and temps are fine at load so ill be running it 24/7 at these clocks for atleast a year or 2, with that said you think it will bottleneck it badly enough not to warrant grabbing the 2080?

Alternatively i can grab a 9900K 16gb ram and a nice motherboard for about the same price id spend on the 2080 ($850~)and wait on the RTX 2080 for a year or 2. share your thoughts.

·
Airman Comp Guru
8 Posts
It may bottleneck a bit but not drastically enough to warrant not getting it IMO shurgs at that speed seems it should handle it ok.... I dont tinker too much with Intel these days

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It would likely be limiting the max fps, but probably not bottlenecking unless you're playing at 1080p which is unlikely. Alternatively, looking at your current setup, you already have a 1080 running at 2.1GHz which is a damn good card on its own. I think the money would be better spent on the platform upgrade. The RTX cards are really not worth their pricetag.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would likely be limiting the max fps, but probably not bottlenecking unless you're playing at 1080p which is unlikely. Alternatively, looking at your current setup, you already have a 1080 running at 2.1GHz which is a damn good card on its own. I think the money would be better spent on the platform upgrade. The RTX cards are really not worth their pricetag.
actually i would be playing at 1080P, im looking for maxed out settings with ray tracing with AA DLSS looks like it would be useful for me. this 1080 is good but metro exodus especially caspian sea the fps tanks to 20 fps in places its clearly a GPU limitation load is pegged at 99%, but also i am getting a cpu bottleneck in some places with lots of enemy AI slave ship especially gpu load dropped to 83% but fps was over 130 so no big deal. I do agree pricing on RTX is insane. $850 for a 1080Ti replacement is not good but the primary reason i was looking to replace my 1080 is metro exodus and because warranty runs out in about a year and change on my 1080 and i dont like not having a warranty if something happens and a 10 year warranty on a 2080 looks darn good.

Originally i was going to go with Ryzen 3 and grab a 2080 the year after but i havent heard anything about that since December so i dont think we'll be seeing that anytime soon.

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
I'd wait for 7nm Turing

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd wait for 7nm Turing
im not too sure what that is to be honest. i was under the impression current cards were 7nm. i wonder how long that would be.

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
im not too sure what that is to be honest. i was under the impression current cards were 7nm. i wonder how long that would be.
Current RTX 2000 series are 12nm. They were supposed to be 10nm but that did not happen and this is why the performance-jump is not that big compared to 1000 series. 1080 Ti generally beats 2070 by 5-10%. It should have been the other way around.

I hope Nvidia will refresh Turing at 7nm late this year, depending on what AMD puts out.

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
actually i would be playing at 1080P, im looking for maxed out settings with ray tracing with AA DLSS looks like it would be useful for me. this 1080 is good but metro exodus especially caspian sea the fps tanks to 20 fps in places its clearly a GPU limitation load is pegged at 99%, but also i am getting a cpu bottleneck in some places with lots of enemy AI slave ship especially gpu load dropped to 83% but fps was over 130 so no big deal. I do agree pricing on RTX is insane. $850 for a 1080Ti replacement is not good but the primary reason i was looking to replace my 1080 is metro exodus and because warranty runs out in about a year and change on my 1080 and i dont like not having a warranty if something happens and a 10 year warranty on a 2080 looks darn good.

Originally i was going to go with Ryzen 3 and grab a 2080 the year after but i havent heard anything about that since December so i dont think we'll be seeing that anytime soon.
Ryzen3 supposedly around Aug,Q3 2019.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i ended up deciding to grab a 9700K, 16GB G.SKILL 3600 speed ram and a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA. opinions?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i ended up deciding to grab a 9700K, 16GB G.SKILL 3600 speed ram and a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA. opinions?
Good to see you still in the game.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Chief of Snark
1,333 Posts
I did something similar to you, going from a 4790K at 4.4GHz (32GB G.Skill, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BLACK) to an i-9900K at 4.7GHz on all cores, 32GB G.Skill 3000 speed RAM, and a GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro WiFi. I couldn't be happier at 1900x1200 running two GTX 1070 cards for any game I'm playing. ATM, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is my high-end game, and changing CPUs let me go to the highest settings where before, I had to go custom between High and Very High. Frame rates don't drop any more (setting highest before had frames drop to 40FPS in a few areas of the built-in benchmark).

Everything else can be played at top settings and then some, though I haven't attempted Metro: Exodus. I've been a happy Gigabyte user for some time, and this board is as good as I expected. Game on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts