Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
I would say give it at least 3.4Ghz and you be fine.

• Rep+
Reactions: Vengeful Penor

·
Registered
590 Posts
Who cares, something is always the bottle neck. You;ll spend yourself into oblivion trying to not have something slowing you down. The laws of physics is your biggest bottleneck. If it's not the CPU, it's the ram, If it's not both, it's the chip set, and so on and so on.

·
Senior Overclocker
5,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I would say give it at least 3.4Ghz and you be fine.
I 2nd this.
at 3ghz it will be a bottleneck. at 3.4-3.6Ghz the bottleneck will be pretty much gone

• Rep+
Reactions: Vengeful Penor

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
This question cannot be answered accurately as you've posed it.

To answer this question it requires that you describe the test. Like so: "If I try to play X game at Y settings and Z resolution, how significant a limiting factor will my CPU be".

Bottlenecks are a function of the hardware plus the software you run on that hardware.

The people above trying to answer this question are pretty much just guessing.

Lastly, there absolutely IS NO 'magic number' where if you get your chip at or above X.X GHz, your bottleneck goes away forever, in all circumstances. The faster your chip, the less often your cpu will the limiting factor to your performance. It's that simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

This question cannot be answered accurately as you've posed it.

To answer this question it requires that you describe the test. Like so: "If I try to play X game at Y settings and Z resolution, how significant a limiting factor will my CPU be".

After reading this thread I am wondering how well my setup will function and approximately how much of an improvement I'll get over my previous NVidia 8800 GTX BFG SLI setup (it looks like I may get at least twice the performance for DX 9 and 10, even more for DX 11). I just recently bought a ATI 5970 on Newegg (I got lucky and there was one available when I refreshed my browser!!).

My current setup is a Q6600 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600) OCed to 3.2 GHz (I can't seem to OC it any more than that - though I'm not sure if it is the memory chips or the CPU causing the crashing issues - I'm using a Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink).

My memory was an older model of Patriot Extreme which I am replacing next week with Patriot Viper II 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500).

My mother board is one of the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboards. I know I won't be able to use crossfire on it, but I figure I'll just use the 5970 on it until it is worthwhile to upgrade the CPU. As far as I have read so far, the increase in gaming performance with the newer CPUs is not worth a total system overhaul yet. I'm not sure if there is anything worth upgrading to with my heatsink and mobo combo that would allow me to get a much higher OC for games with the Ultra 120 (if so, let me know!!).

I'll be using this system in a Home Theater with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Basically the projector outputs at 1920x1080p and if the material is displayed at 2.35:1 natively the PJ compresses the signal for 1920x1080 output. Then a lens applies a horizontal stretch to fill in the 2.35:1. Of course, I can simply output the signal at 1920x1080 as well (though I will have to use masking which will decrease the screen size...).

So, I am looking at outputting the signal via the 5970 at either a very high resolution 2.35:1 aspect ratio, or 1920x1080.

I'll be playing all types of popular games on it from FPS to MMORPGs and RPGs. I've beta and alpha tested extensively in the past and am thinking of doing so again for a bit.

How limiting will my CPU be in this setup, and what are some cheap upgrade paths to decrease any bottlenecks that may be in place next week? What is a good CPU speed objective to reach in order to balance this system (Amdahl's law and all...)?

My end goal, is to eventually upgrade everything onto a crossfire board and put in two 5970s when a worthwhile CPU jump for gaming comes about. Right now it doesn't seem worthwhile in terms of "real world gaming" as far as I can tell. Any input on the truth of that?

Thanks!

- Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not opposed to spending a couple hundred bucks if I can OC with the Ultra 120 to reach that 3.6 GHz for gaming. Let me know if there is a good CPU for my mobo still in circulation.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts

PCI-E 1.1 will bottleneck a 5970, as it already does a single 5870.

Got 2.0? You should be safe. I believe, it's not a question of the processor power. It's a question of how many lanes your PCI-E bus has.

Seems the stocks of 5970's here in the east still hasnt come. My friend has yet to do a -legit- PCI-E 2.0 benchmark of his Kentsfield with the Hemlock.
________
Los angeles dispensaries

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but aint we all seen the benchmarks where an i7 clocked at 3.6ghz STILL bottlenecks the 5870's? nver mind the 5970's, until some awesome cpu comes out OR ati drivers mature abit from these cards, i would say a bottleneck wont matter much on current gen stuf as theres allways a bottleneck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kand
View Post

PCI-E 1.1 will bottleneck a 5970, as it already does a single 5870.

Got 2.0? You should be safe. I believe, it's not a question of the processor power. It's a question of how many lanes your PCI-E bus has.

Seems the stocks of 5970's here in the east still hasnt come. My friend has yet to do a -legit- PCI-E 2.0 benchmark of his Kentsfield with the Hemlock.

Is the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard PCI-E 1.1 or 2.0? How do I check?

I'm glad I didn't open the memory I bought yet. I may need to return it and upgrade a lot more of the system than I planned...

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
It bottlenecks the crap out of mine, 3d06-13900, I could get 15000+ with my 4890

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
View Post

Is the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard PCI-E 1.1 or 2.0? How do I check?

I'm glad I didn't open the memory I bought yet. I may need to return it and upgrade a lot more of the system than I planned...

Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813188009

Done. 1.1.
________
Raquel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts