Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya guys,

As the title suggest im building up a comp for a mate, he's given me a budget and I was gonna go with a core i5 system.

But considering it is then limited in crossfire by its single pci-e 16x bus I was thinking, maybe I should push him towards a amd setup instead.. Considering the bang for buck and such.

The only thing im worried about is the 955 becoming a bottleneck for the two cards. There is a chance I mite be able to convince him to go for two 5870s or two 5970s as well.

SO whats your thoughts guys?

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
I think it would slightly.
It would probably be minimal if the 955 was over 3.6ghz.
haha

But, it would def bottleneck 2x 5870's
Those cards need i7's.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
the setup wont be affected at all hell even my cpu if isn't affected as long as its above 3 it will fly. i really do hate when people bring up this question though, everyone assumes you have too have an i7 at 4 to do anything. when we see people with 2 295's on a q9550 running the same frames as an i7

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason im not pushing him to a 965 is because the price difference here in aus is from $209 to $269. Making it ~30% more expensive then the 955, I'll probably overclick it slightly for him anyway.

He's not really into tweaking his machine much.

Thanks again guys!

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3phro
View Post

Sweet guys, I didn't think it'd be overly noticeable.. it's a pretty beastly looking setup thus far

IT's going to be a tiny bottleneck (TINY), so just buy it and be happy

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Yeah, just save the money and get a 955.
The bottleneck won't be too much to worry about, and you will still be maxing every game.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S3phro View Post
Indeed, but two 5770s is a step back from two 5850s that I proposed in the beginning of the thread.

Although I am semi tempted to put my 4890 in a media center and buy some 5770s for myself...
5850 CF is going to be a waste money , because 1 5850 can max out most all games.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, at the moment there isn't a game out there that needs this much power. But he wants the computer to be setup in such a way it wont have to be touched for another two years or so.

two 5970s or eve 5870s are way overkill and over priced, 5850s fit the bill perfectly and will easy last him 2 years.

Thanks for the feed back guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts