Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
get a better ISP, Rogers Sucks, Sympatico does too, i feel your pain.

IMO, either go Cogeco or get rogers 5mb service, as well as a purchase of a cable modem for 100cad. Better Internet means better Ping. =)

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
ping is the time in millaseconds your computer internet connection is behind than the server output.... example , ping of 104= you are 104millaseconds behind the server output you are on...

to lower ping you need a faster internet connection

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ping is solely based on you internet conection.

example:
fx-60, 2 7800gtx ect on dail up will get 800 ping/lag in cs, but will get 200 fps(frames per second)

amd k6 with on board on a broadband/dsl conection will get 60 ping/lag in cs, but will get 2 fps(frames per second)

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -relk-
how do i make my ping go down? lol i know these r stupid questions but i dont know much about ping.
Ping is the time it takes a packet to get to a place and back. Think of it this way: you have to run back to your friends house and back as fast as you can. Your ping is the time it takes you from the time you leave to when you get back. On the internet, ping is the time it takes a packet of data to get from your computer to somewhere and back.

To lower your ping, start with decreasing network traffic. If you are downloading, stop. Next, make sure you pick a server that's nearby. There's no reason you should have to run extra distance. If all else fails... maybe you need faster internet. What's your current ping BTW? Anything under 100 is good for online gaming in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
go to dsl report.com and use the speed test uder the "tools" link and see what speed you are running... and in games what ping are you getting? i seem to find that anything under 175 is more than playable...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
175 is still ok, you really do not want to be in the 275-300+ range.

Some servers kick (in BF2) if you're over 150 for mroe than 3 tries, which I think is ******ed but whatever.

Wireless is terrible to play on unless you are right next to it, because the transfer rate and pings will fluctuates based on the environment around it. If you are connected straight to the modem or router your ping will drop since it's a straight connection.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well would my router haev to do with it at all? It is a Dlink DI-604. I got it for about $20 (on sale). I also have ISP Telus.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I didnt catch everything here....

What service do you have? DSL? Cable?
What rate do they promise? or atleast advertise..

Example i have cox cable in southern california...they say around 3MB/s and i get around 3.5......
im not sure what they offer in canada.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i have Telus but i dont know what rate they say it is or how i can tell. i took a test at dslreport.com and it said i was at DSL speed.

EDIT: i did another test on dslreport.com and it said i was getting 1.5mbps.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Networking Section post... being moved!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
err mate, if its a USB modem then a faster CPU will help, but i dont no you CPU speed.

FPS does count for PING as it seds information bassically every frame and a low FPS = high ping, atleast thats how it works with Valves games.

Plus a decent connection always helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.