Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next and probably last purchase for a while is going to be a CPU cooler, and I see nothing but good things about the 1283, but I've also seen that it's huge. I'm wondering, if it will fit in my computer, and which way will it need to face? If not what could I use that's around the same price as the Xigmatek? Here's a pic of what I have to work w/.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
On AM2 boards, the Xig can only be mounted with the air blowing up and down.

I think you'll be better off with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tact%20freezer

It was just recommended to me today.
It is a little bit shorter, and can be oriented to blow the air towards the exhaust fan.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've gotten 15+ cm's from the psu to the video card. Any other suggestions as far as a cooler if this one won't be good?

·
Registered
465 Posts
because of the way you have to mount on am2 you might run into clearence problems with your memory and the xigmatek. your board seems to have a bit more room but who knows, you could always move the sticks over one slot each

·
PC Evangelist
47,378 Posts
If its for your current CPU you will not fell a thing Xigmatek will keep that thing cool no matter what.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm so I'm seeing mixed things. Anything smaller that could be recommended? I'm still quite in love w/ the zalman 9700 cause it would in turn match my PC color scheme as well, but it's a bit expensive for my taste.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh. Man, it does clear the RAM, but if I ever have to remove the RAM, I don't want to have to take the heatsink off as well. *sigh*. Seems I'm going to have to find a smaller cooler. Any ideas??

EDIT: It will be a b***h to get over having to reseat everytime I'd want to change memory, but I'm at the point where I don't have to, so I think I could get over it. It looks like a beast anyways. If anyone had some more pics of there rigs with it in there, that's be a big help as well. Also, the CPU fan will be blowing up at my PSU, will that cause any conflict, or would it actually create a nice airflow for the exhaust fan?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
if you want if i get a chance ill measure it for ya. mayb wit how ram your ram is from the cpu it will have enough room. and how many sticks do you have im on my phone cant see while i type. if u only got 2 cant you just move them over.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
if you want if i get a chance ill measure it for ya. mayb wit how far your ram is from the cpu it will have enough room. and how many sticks do you have im on my phone cant see while i type. if u only got 2 cant you just move them over.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
My vote goes towards the Xigmatek S1283. I just mounted mine last week, and I saw 10*C difference from my Zalman 9500. I can most definitely recommend it. Of course you'll have to mount it facing up....but just make sure you've got a good fan on the cooler, and a good exhaust fan, and you're set to go! Spot coolers also do wonders. Pictures attached.

LL
LL

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So pio since we both have 939 boards, you think I'll be good? I really want the 1283, but what's another good heatsink and fan?

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez
View Post

So pio since we both have 939 boards, you think I'll be good? I really want the 1283, but what's another good heatsink and fan?

Well...almost any of the "tower" style HSF's are going to have to mount the same way. The Big Typhoon was great in its day, but we've got one and the Opteron its cooling loads at 85*C with it. So we're replacing it with another Xigmatek....if that tells you anything. I can send 1.55v through my chip currently, and I load at 67*C, whereas with my Zalman, 1.40v it loaded at 70*C. My recommendation is DEFINITELY the Xigmatek. Just be warned, you may have to reseat it a couple of times, so buy lots of TIM. It takes a while to figure out the right way to apply it with those direct heat pipes.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the zalman 9500 (the nvidia version)? It'd match my computer color scheme so that's good. It's more expensive, but it seems the xigmatek would be a hassle.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez
View Post

What about the zalman 9500 (the nvidia version)? It'd match my computer color scheme so that's good. It's more expensive, but it seems the xigmatek would be a hassle.

I would NOT recommend a Zalman 9500. I actually just THREW MINE AWAY. Didn't even bother to try to sell it or nothing...that's how much I hate the thing.

Zalman temps:
1.39v @ 3.0GHz = 72*C load
1.22v @ 2.8GHz = 67*C load

Xigmatek temps:
1.39v @ 3.0GHz = 57*C load
1.55v @ 3.15GHz = 65*C load
1.22v @ 2.8GHz = 42*C load

Get the Xigmatek. Its a clip on cooler, which makes it quite easy to mount on our Socket 939 setups. The ONLY thing that's difficult is getting your TIM amount right, and how to do it. But even that isn't all that difficult at all. It may take a reseat or two to get the delta's under control....but its not hard at all.

EDIT:
I forgot to say:
Make sure you replace the stock fan with something slightly better. I'm running a Thunderblade which is rated at 93 CFM...just for reference sake.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts