Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously i would get the 920 now, but i would hate to have to buy another board for the 930. is there a particular one, brand, or model that is guaranteed to work with future i9 processors.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Actually the 930 is a Core i7, not the i9. Currently the i9 is Extreme Edition only. But to answer your question, as Juggalo said, yes, all you need is a BIOS update and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
ASUS X58 motherboards have been confirmed to support Gulftown.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post
I know that Classified and limited editon(what I have) all it will need is a bios update.
I am sure it will be the same for other x58 boards as well
they have a beta bios on evga for the i9 for our boards. but OP, depending on if they want to put out bios updates will determine the support list. there is a company that stopped making boards for extreme levels, i believe it was foxconn. not sure though, they might not put out a bios update.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
The boards will need a BIOS update. In other words, you will want to order your motherboard a little while after the processor comes out (so in other words, don't purchase at launch of 930 or i9). The reason for this is that if you buy a current motherboard when the new chips come out, it might not POST due to the new chip not being recognized. There is a manufacturing delay in adding a current BIOS to motherboards.

This has personally happened to me before. However, if you have a friend that has an i7, just have them flash your board for you.

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
The boards will need a BIOS update. In other words, you will want to order your motherboard a little while after the processor comes out (so in other words, don't purchase at launch of 930 or i9). The reason for this is that if you buy a current motherboard when the new chips come out, it might not POST due to the new chip not being recognized. There is a manufacturing delay in adding a current BIOS to motherboards.

This has personally happened to me before. However, if you have a friend that has an i7, just have them flash your board for you.
more then 90% of them will support i9. so he can buy now if he wants to. just get a solid good board and he will be fine.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the quick responses. is it worth settling on say a $150-$200 board that may not be as feature driven as the ones that are between $250-$400. i am kinda on a budget and i realize x58 boards are expensive. but i don't want to invest in a lower priced board just for the sake of getting a x58 board.

i was looking at this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130226

but would prefer one of these, just might need to wait a bit longer. would it be worth it to wait or settle on the above to save money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128413

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131614

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
more then 90% of them will support i9. so he can buy now if he wants to. just get a solid good board and he will be fine.
Agreed.

·
Registered
871 Posts
but would prefer one of these, just might need to wait a bit longer. would it be worth it to wait or settle on the above to save money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128413

As u know i got the UD7 its the first time i have built a PC for around 10years alot has changed however this was easy as pie 2 put 2gether. Its ace for overclocking and air/water cooling. The twin Bios thing is awesome i have screwed up a few times with overclocking and it just boots of default. Then you just load your best bios save and away you go! Also alot of features for the future with Sata3 and USB3.0 ready. So i would say the UD7 is worth the cash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts