Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 4.5GHz 1.368V it's hitting 53C in intel burn test and that way too high so like the title says will an H80 be enough to keep it under 40C if i add a 250CFM fan to it?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66 View Post

At 4.5GHz 1.368V it's hitting 53C in intel burn test and that way too high so like the title says will an H80 be enough to keep it under 40C if i add a 250CFM fan to it?
53c on a cpu stress test is not high (assuming that is the core temp), the fx 6300 can go up to 70c on the core temp.

I doubt just adding a fan would decrease the temperatures that much. A 120mm fan pushing 250 cfm is a lot though.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by auraofjason View Post

53c on a cpu stress test is not high (assuming that is the core temp), the fx 6300 can go up to 70c on the core temp.

I doubt just adding a fan would decrease the temperatures that much. A 120mm fan pushing 250 cfm is a lot though.
I was told by someone on here anything past 60C is damaging any FX processor and 53C is way too close to 60C for to consider safe (provided he was right). So it's not worth getting an H80, What about a refurb H100 off newegg its only $55?

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
I don't know much about AMD cpus but 53c in stress testing seem a good temp to me..
Take a look at the graph that bit-tech made for that cooler and AMD Socket AM3+ FX-8150 overclocked to 4.4GHz with a vcore of 1.325V

The temps are reasonable,but it seems like the Antec Kühler H2O 920 scores lower load temps..But since you'll be using a 250CFM you might see a better drop in temps,i guess?So either way seems fine to me
thumb.gif

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

I was told by someone on here anything past 60C is damaging any FX processor and 53C is way too close to 60C for to consider safe (provided he was right). So it's not worth getting an H80, What about a refurb H100 off newegg its only $55?
Nah the fx 6300's max core temp is 70c: http://www.overclock.net/t/1134229/amd-cpus-max-temps (bulldozer and piledriver max temps are the same). 70c is where damage would start if it kept running that high for an extended amount of time.

Under 60c on a stress test is where you want to be for 24/7 usage, and you are well below that.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAs81 View Post

I don't know much about AMD cpus but 53c in stress testing seem a good temp to me..
Take a look at the graph that bit-tech made for that cooler and AMD Socket AM3+ FX-8150 overclocked to 4.4GHz with a vcore of 1.325V

The temps are reasonable,but it seems like the Antec Kühler H2O 920 scores lower load temps..But since you'll be using a 250CFM you might see a better drop in temps,i guess?So either way seems fine to me
thumb.gif
How would an H100 handle it? i just came across this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181038
Quote:

Nah the fx 6300's max core temp is 70c: http://www.overclock.net/t/1134229/amd-cpus-max-temps (bulldozer and piledriver max temps are the same). 70c is where damage would start if it kept running that high for an extended amount of time.

Under 60c on a stress test is where you want to be for 24/7 usage, and you are well below that.
Hmm looks like that guy was dreaming then so i am well below the limit but I'd feel better getting an H80 or H100

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

62°C is the absolute max on AMD. 53°C in burn test isn't anything to worry about, as your normal temps are going to be considerably cooler. Even if burn test read 60°C it would still be fine so you'r good.

Also, I wouldn't use a 250CFM fan I can only imagine the noise...

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded War View Post

62°C is the absolute max on AMD. 53°C in burn test isn't anything to worry about, as your normal temps are going to be considerably cooler. Even if burn test read 60°C it would still be fine so you'r good.

Okay so now I'm confused why does AMD says 70 and most on here say 60? I use good quality headset that blocks almost all outside noise so i can't even hear it hardly

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded War View Post

Okay so now I'm confused why does AMD says 70 and most on here say 60? I use good quality headset that blocks almost all outside noise so i can't even hear it hardly
Yes an H80/100 would keep it cool but your current heatsink is perfectly fine and I wouldn't suggest changing it. Put that money toward an SSD or something.
2cents.gif

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Because 70 is where the cpu will start to be damaged quickly and is "unsafe". But being close to 70 (like 65c) isn't good either for an extended amount of time, so people say the max 24/7 safe temp is 60c.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Again,for the same cpu FX-8150 overclocked to 4.4GHz with a vcore of 1.325V bit-tech shows this:

Tread carefully though,I usually don't trust refurbished items..
Yeah there seems to be an overwhelming ammount of people saying they opened the box and it was soaked with the coolant.

so No bueno on that refurb. looks like the H80 it is then next step is figuring out how to mount it wit this giant fan lol.

i was wrong about the CFM i guess its a 130CFM but still that's alot of airflow. This is the fan in question in case you were wondering http://cpufans.ecrater.com/p/8647709/dell-fan-nidec-ta450dc-b35502-35

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Because 70 is where the cpu will start to be damaged quickly and is "unsafe". But being close to 70 (like 65c) isn't good either for an extended amount of time, so people say the max 24/7 safe temp is 60c.
Oh Okay that makes sense to me Thanks
thumb.gif

Gah! double post

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

50db is kinda loud don't you think..?there are quieter airflow fans out there for you to try..Is a push/pull configuration out of the question in your system?
It really doesn't bother me but i do have extra 120MM fans but none of them are any good most of them are very old 6+ years and barely work. if all goes well i should have enough for some half way decent 120MM fans for push/pull

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Quote:

It really doesn't bother me but i do have extra 120MM fans but none of them are any good most of them are very old 6+ years and barely work. if all goes well i should have enough for some half way decent 120MM fans for push/pull
I'd try the Silverstone Air Penetrators ..
They are very good on radiators..I myself use Corsair fans on my H75,and I am satisfied with the performance/cooling , but I'm not overclocking my cpu(non K Haswell
rolleyes.gif
)

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

I'd try the Silverstone Air Penetrators ..
They are very good on radiators..I myself use Corsair fans on my H75,and I am satisfied with the performance/cooling , but I'm not overclocking my cpu(non K Haswell
rolleyes.gif
)
I'll definitely look into those when i get the H80.
I'm also not entirely sure the sensor is even accurate how is it even possible my CPU got down to 6.5C?

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Quote:

I'll definitely look into those when i get the H80.
I'm also not entirely sure the sensor is even accurate how is it even possible my CPU got down to 6.5C?
I'm confused..where does it say that your cpu is 6.5c?
headscratch.gif

I use HWinfo myself and find it rather accurate , you could always download Core Temp to monitor your temps,if you'd like..

EDIT:
Nevermind,just saw it..
tongue.gif

either way if your current temps are accurate there's no problem..
EDIT 2:
link fixed,sorry about that-brain freeze
rolleyes.gif
,real temp works only on intel processors..Use Core Temp

·
Registered
263 Posts
Use the fan that ships with the H80. AMD FX chips are infamous for inaccurate temperature reporting when below 35-40C. As the chip temp goes up so does the temp reporting accuracy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts