Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is about to build a new gaming computer. He has already bought an i3 2130 but is now looking to pick up a used gpu. I recommended that he get a 6970 as its plenty of power and great bang for the buck. The most demanding game he will be playing is bf3 and he is hoping to run the game at high setting with no aa @ 1080p. So my question is, will he be able to do this with that gpu/cpu combo and will the cpu be bottlenecking the 6970 at all. My thoughts is that it might come close, but wouldnt and that they would be a great match for a gaming computer since you want more emphasis on your gpu. Thoughts and input would be much appreciated. He can always get something cheaper if the general consensus is that the gpu will be bottlenecked. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, + rep, anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Maybe ever so slightly, but in general, no.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I use an i3 2120 and an amd 7870. I play BF3 multiplayer and I get pretty dang good frames. Only in 64+ maps do i see a little bit of lag due to not having a quad core. Keep in mind i play at 1920x1200 so it relies just a tad less on my cpu at that res as apposed to 1080p. Its a fantastic processor though and I have had 0 issues with its performance for the $$
thumb.gif

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS OVER 9000! View Post

I use an i3 2120 and an amd 7870. I play BF3 multiplayer and I get pretty dang good frames. Only in 64+ maps do i see a little bit of lag due to not having a quad core. Keep in mind i play at 1920x1200 so it relies just a tad less on my cpu at that res as apposed to 1080p. Its a fantastic processor though and I have had 0 issues with its performance for the $$
thumb.gif
Glad to hear. What settings are you running? All ultra, all high, or a mixture? Also, do you happen to know your min and average frames on some of those 64 players maps, thats what he will be playing on most.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaDowner View Post

Glad to hear. What settings are you running? All ultra, all high, or a mixture? Also, do you happen to know your min and average frames on some of those 64 players maps, thats what he will be playing on most.
Its pretty much mostly ultra with one or 2 on high ( I will have to check when i get back home.) But my min = 34 and max is 60 (play with v-sync on.) your min might be higher because amd drivers have been pretty bumpy on the 7870 for right now.
smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.