Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i was looking at speedfan on bootup - it showed 90 degrees, i checked, 111 core (this is degrees C), i closed it, opened it again and it said the same, i shouted "****" just as my PC turned off.

I found out the bloody pump's plug had fallen out (!!) and it had no cooling at all - would this extreme temperature for about 1 and a half minutes be dangerous?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,696 Posts
Depends upon the Duration.

The T Junction's will operate to that level, the processor cores will not. A small amount of damage may have occured, time depending.

There should be no critical damage, to that extent however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
It might have reduced the lifespan of the CPU a bit, but I don't see why it would damage it badly having only ran it for a minute or so at that temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
hell you should be ok. its a bad deal it got that high though. you might want (for future references) turn on a safety feature that turns the computer off when the proc gets to around 65c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
i know my sister's 2100+ sat at 125Deg C for around an hour once. because it was OCed and the fan died. and it still works fine. even though i don't know how. the funny thing was that it was still stable at that temp lol. still i reckon the CPU should b dead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
since it was for such a short time I wouldn't worry. I would set an option in the bios though tho shut it off at a certain temp like 60C for example to avoid this happening again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgoes2001 View Post
i know my sister's 2100+ sat at 125Deg C for around an hour once. because it was OCed and the fan died. and it still works fine. even though i don't know how. the funny thing was that it was still stable at that temp lol. still i reckon the CPU should b dead
Was it a barton core? Those things can take a lot of punishment and keep on going. Still, that should have killed it. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Well, i was looking at speedfan on bootup - it showed 90 degrees, i checked, 111 core (this is degrees C), i closed it, opened it again and it said the same, i shouted "****" just as my PC turned off.

I found out the bloody pump's plug had fallen out (!!) and it had no cooling at all - would this extreme temperature for about 1 and a half minutes be dangerous?
Any updates? Is the cpu still good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waupli View Post
Was it a barton core? Those things can take a lot of punishment and keep on going. Still, that should have killed it. lol
Yeh i know. it should b dead. but it actually OCs more and performs better now lol. before i could only get it to 1.9Ghz. now i am running it at 2.1Ghz. lol. and it performs well as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by mudd
View Post

hell you should be ok. its a bad deal it got that high though. you might want (for future references) turn on a safety feature that turns the computer off when the proc gets to around 65c

well, i would, but i can't find such a feature in my BIOS...

i think it has an inbuilt one, though, as it sat at 89, and then just about 5 secs after it hit 90 it went off....

Although with 112 degrees on the core, i am lucky i have any water LEFT!

She was working fine this morning (@ school atm) - overclocked this morning (dropped the multi, raised the FSB, kept the same clock but raised the ram, as my mobo has no setting above DDR400, raising the FSB was the only way of keeping it working at the right speed. Actually, just realised it goes higher and that my ram could go to DDR600, cant wait to try it!)

/me wants an Opteron even more now though!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top