Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read tons of posts on how the NB runs extremely hot on these DFI's. My board hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know for sure.

My question is, should I invest in one of these for my NB? It's much easier to install it once the board arrives, than have to remove the board later on. Hence why I want to know beforehand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835116018

Thanks.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
that's 19bucks man! hmm how about if you try the mobo first? yeah, but for another shipping fee i guess. but maybe you could buy that when you buy another item from newegg, just in case

• Rep+
Reactions: Shift.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I mean I've heard they run warm as well, but I've never heard it in the "OMG it's going to catch fire!" sense. I bet you get good enough air flow through your 900 to keep air going through that mosfet sink and keep it at respectable levels.

But this is all outsider looking in type stuff

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
If you replace the NB sink, the mosfets will be unprotected. I would either rig a 40 or 60mm fan onto the factory heatsink, or get something like the Antec Spotcool.

• Rep+
Reactions: Shift.

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Just use the stock fan that comes with the 710 on there... those little guys work great as chipset coolers.

And leaving the MOSFETS uncooled isn't the greatest idea... they're under alot of stress as well. And if you blow one... its new motherboard time.

Good luck man

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help. And I think I may have gotten things mixed up a bit.

The cooler would be for the Southbridge, which would leave the NB and mosfets with the factory hsf.

Also, I can get that cooler at my local CompUSA for the same price, so I don't have to worry about shipping. I'm just wondering if I'll need it at all. Although I do like that idea of a smaller fan blowing on the stock SB hsf. I think that's what I'll do first.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
fans always work wonders! you'll notice 10-15c drop for SURE. but I recommend the thermalright NB and mosfet coolers. you can mount a fan on it also and it'd look better. that adds about 45(NB+MOSFETS) bucks to your cost but they look badass! here a pic of my rig. with the fan I run the NB at 1.61 volts and the temps dont go over 40c. now i need a fan blowing on the mosfets to keep the system stable(45c with fan, 75c without!), im going to be upgrading to some thermalright mosfet coolers as well. passive just dont work well when you're throwing lots of volts around!

if you're not going to OC all this is a nonissue. or if your going to OC lightly it's also a nonissue.

Attachment 100195Attachment 100196
LL
LL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts