1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
What are you doing with your PC?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
is this on a laptop? i never hear about desktops with 3gb ddr2 667, if that's the case im not even sure the laptop would be able to handle 8 gigs at that speed...

EDIT: just read that one is ddr2, other ddr3,

yeah, you'll notice a pretty big difference, especially for the purposes listed. just make sure you won't be bottlenecked by your CPU or GPU.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how it will be faster, apart from having more ram ? like , will it load programs faster? or...

I'm talking about general pc performance

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
No matter what you're doing, you'll see a performance increase. DDR2 has a slower data rate than DDR3 and you'll notice everything is just snappier. It won't be a monstrous performance increase but everything will be a lot smoother. When opening programs, RAM helps but the spindle speed of your hard-drive really determines that.

Hope this helped!

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
If you either went raid with some drives like some f3's or get a ssd. You will see a difference then also. As you need to keep everything moving fast. As if you got a slow hard drive then it will only be fast as that slow hard drive can go.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XanderDylan View Post
No matter what you're doing, you'll see a performance increase. DDR2 has a slower data rate than DDR3 and you'll notice everything is just snappier.
Not true. It is NOT noticable.

·
PC Evangelist
47,371 Posts
If you use more then 3GB and the fact that DDR2-677 is very slow yes. You can get faster DDR3 then 1333 like 1600 for nut much more.

·
Hardware Aficionado
829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
If you use more then 3GB and the fact that DDR2-677 is very slow yes. You can get faster DDR3 then 1333 like 1600 for nut much more.
Well the first part is ture, assuming he needs more memory than he's got

But the second part is way off, the differences in memory speed all come from speed vs timings - cheap ddr3 1600 (or just poorly configured) with high latency timings can still be slower than high-end ddr2 (even ddr2 667, assuming its got low latency).

a bit dated, but this page explains the idea...

·
PC Evangelist
47,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelL421 View Post
Well the first part is ture, assuming he needs more memory than he's got

But the second part is way off, the differences in memory speed all come from speed vs timings - cheap ddr3 1600 (or just poorly configured) with high latency timings can still be slower than high-end ddr2 (even ddr2 667, assuming its got low latency).

a bit dated, but this page explains the idea...
How is that my DDR3 setup produce almost 3 times then bandwidth of my DDR2.

·
Hardware Aficionado
829 Posts
triple channel memory on the 1366 platform will smoke almost anything. I'm just taking about the speed of an individual stick of ram - not taking into consideration dual/triple channel modes. Again, high-end/expensive ddr2 can equal or perform better than cheap/average ddr3 based on latency timings.

DDR3 is basically ddr2 that uses a different topology for signal path, more internal banks, and lower voltage. There are more benefits vs downsides, but overall speed vs latency equals how your RAM performs

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
It depends on what RAM you get. If you go from 667Mhz 5-5-5-15 DDR2 to 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 DDR3, the difference will be so little and unnoticeable because considering speed-to-latency it's about equal. If you go from 667 5-5-5-15 to 1600 7-8-7 or so though, the difference will be quite huge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts