6x Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition
Corsair H75 for the Intel CPU
Intel i7-4790K
LG Blu-Ray burner
NZXT Sentry 3 fan controller
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD
Samsung 850 Pro SSD
4TB Seagate HDD

I've been running into a dilemma lately. My AIO fans need to run at least 80% for my 2x 290x GPUs to be below 85 C. This is California, so it gets kinda hot in my room without AC. The fans are very loud (55 dB while sitting 4 feet away from PC), and I was hoping the AIO with the quiet fans would net me better results. The other problem I am having is, with the small HDD cage and the 2x 5.25" bays, there is limited room to mount the radiators. I have 2 of the radiators doing top exhaust on top of the R5, with another doing rear exhaust. The problem with the rear being that only one pull fan is attached to it on the outside due to space limitations.

Do you guys think I can achieve that quiet PC and better temps by going to a custom loop? I am also looking up different cases, but nothing so huge such as the Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo. I also would like a case with no side windows. Sorry for the long write-up, just getting tired of the loud fans. Also, I know the PC is a bit dusty, cleaning it up as I type this up.

Any suggestions (case/custom loop expectations)?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Jesus, clean up that rat's nest and maybe you'll get some better air flow...

But yeah, a full custom loop will help with temps, and most definitely noise if you have good fans..mine is inaudible, you will not hear anything...you can gut the hard drive stuff on the right side and mount a reservoir and pump there...i've seen people mount 2x 240 rads in this case...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You can definitely do better with custom water - even going back to air will be quieter while yielding simliar temperatures with some planning.

But, yeah - gotta clean that up so air can move.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXformat View Post

Jesus, clean up that rat's nest and maybe you'll get some better air flow...

But yeah, a full custom loop will help with temps, and most definitely noise if you have good fans..mine is inaudible, you will not hear anything...you can gut the hard drive stuff on the right side and mount a reservoir and pump there...i've seen people mount 2x 240 rads in this case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by claes View Post

You can definitely do better with custom water - even going back to air will be quieter while yielding simliar temperatures with some planning.

But, yeah - gotta clean that up so air can move.
This^^, also, do you need the DVD drive? What is in the slot below the DVD drive? a HDD? Like the previous poster said, take out the HDD cage, and mount that HDD somewhere else in case using 3m double sided tape. Then take out the DVD or move it down one slot. Now you have room for a slim 360 rad, or just an extra fan if you go air cooling. The temperatures you are getting are very high, I live somewhere v. hot, have a custom loop and my system never breaches 50 degrees C.

Think if you just clean up the wiring and remove the DVD & HDD cage your temperatures should drop quite a bit, allowing you to use fans at lower rpm. I would do those things first and then decide on whether to invest $$$ in a custom loop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure the dust on the rads isn't helping them do their job either, witch is to exchange heat from water in your loop(s) to the air and the out of your case....
I once was told that dust on eletrical system shortens their lifespand significally....

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Get rid off the top HDD cage and move the HDD to lower.
The AF120 Quiet fans you are using on the rads are useless and does not cool the rads at all. So those fans needs to be changed.
You need to clean all the wires to go behind the case too allow better airflow.

You can mount one of the AIO to the front for the CPU and move the rear to the top.
Also if it set to exhaust on top, be sure to remove the dust filter, as it will block exhaust. Unless you want to use it as intake which is also fine.
That way the rear fan can be set to exhaust.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,210 Posts
Will going to a platform that is designed to provide maximum cooling with minimal noise provide better cooling and less noise than a platform designed to rely on maximum airflow to make up for inferior components? Is this a serious question?
tongue.gif

Not only will it accomplish that (and then some), but you will also have VRM cooling on your GPUs, and it will certainly be a lot neater and cleaner in your case without the plethora of "one size fits none" tubing and array of wiring.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Basically what guys above said is correct.

Short term: cleanup the interior. There is so much obstruction along the way that probably air cannot move anywhere. If it doesn't help just remove side panel. Anything that will provide fresh air.

Long term; custom loop is the only logical option. Especially for hot cards like these 290s and California is not Arctic so heat outside compounds problem of heat inside the case.

·
Premium Member
27,138 Posts
What ciarlatano said.
I would remove all HDD cages and move the HDD to bottom where HDD cages used to be. Get something like a Swiftech AIO if you don't want custom loop, add waterblocks for GPUs and a 2nd radiator and you should be good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. The dust has been all cleaned up, and I ordered 6 Corsair SP120 fans, I'll just have them at low rpms.

In terms of watercooling, I want to future-proof myself as much as possible. No reason to keep buying new components every time something new comes along. The EK Thermosphere looks like a good bet since it's a universal GPU block that just need different plates for the different GPUs. Let's say I upgrade to AMD Vega in the future, do you see any issues with EK not releasing a new plate for the Thermosphere for AMD Vega?

Also, I am thinking 2x 240mm radiators, one on top of the case and another in the front. Do you guys think one pump is enough for 2x 240mm radiators, 2x GPU blocks, and a single CPU block? I know super noob questions here, but just trying to learn. Also trying to keep my budget below $500, don't know if that's reasonable or not.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I personally dont like the universal blocks, no vrm cooling, and you have to rig up some abortion of a solution to get any coolin on them at all, if you dont swap your GPUs every month, GPU blocks aint that expensive, and most of the time you can sell your old cards for a little bit extra, if you leave the blocks on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

I personally dont like the universal blocks, no vrm cooling, and you have to rig up some abortion of a solution to get any coolin on them at all, if you dont swap your GPUs every month, GPU blocks aint that expensive, and most of the time you can sell your old cards for a little bit extra, if you leave the blocks on.
I currently have the Gelid VRM heatsinks on the 290xs, and the G10 bracket has a fan to cool off the VRMs. Maybe I'll just wait until Vega comes out to upgrade and go to water cooling then. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts