Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some amazing things about mid-range nVidia 600-series... They are going to be pretty fast... So my question is will Kepler require good i5/i7 processor or it could work on my Q9550 (if I overclock it)... And I am talking about mid-range, for example GTX660 ( successor of 560)...

·
Overclocked
3,988 Posts
Yes there will be a bottleneck. But if you overclock your Q9550 to around 3.6-4.0 GHz it won't affect the cards performace that much.
My i7 870 @ 4.0 GHz bottleneck my GTX 470 in some games. Crysis in 1920x1080 and medium I get really low GPU usage.
From 2.9 to 4.0 GHz overclock increased my fps to about 35%.
Even at 4.0 GHz the card is still not in its full potential.
But in newer games that are optimized for multi-threading you won't face that much problems.

• Rep+
Reactions: eko

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My Core 2 Duo E8600 (@4GHz) did well with my GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I don't feel my Core i5 2500K is doing that much better. The places it would be would be games that need more than two threads (of which I play none, or next to none), but in that case, your CPU has more cores. I'm not saying it'll perform as well as a newer CPU, but I wouldn't call my previous setup too limiting, so I'd say it might be okay if you A) stick to a mid-range GPU and not a higher end one, and B) overclock the CPU as much as you can for sure, and then still understand there will be some limitations from the platform/CPU. I think you can ride the Core 2 Quad Yorkfields a little longer if you don't need the very best though. It is nearing the edge of how high of something I'd pair with it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.