Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

As in my sig rig, I have had my Enermax Galaxy 1KW for a few years now. I purchased a 570 just the other day and I am awaiting its arrival.

However, I have just thought about my PSU. Been reading more into PSU's which is something I never really got my head around. From reading around I have either got confused and misinterpreted information or reading idiotic sources which has lead me to get worried my PSU is underpowered which it may or may not be. I'm really not great in this area as the numbers are my enemy.

So the 570 needs 219 Watts and minimum PSU requirement of 550 watts.

Here are two pictures, one of my model and one of it's listed specs on the box.

Hope I'm not being a complete idiot. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
To use your own words, actually yes you are being kind of an idiot. You could power 3 570s with your PSU.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1
View Post

To use your own words, actually yes you are being kind of an idiot. You could power 3 570s with your PSU.

what he said

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1
View Post

Thank you. I assumed that would be the answer. I started reading information about requiring 20-30 amps on the 12V rails and from is on side of my box I translated mine was only carrying 17 amps and therefore getting worried.

I can always admit and be honest when I say that when it comes volts, watts and amps I have always been useless.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moynesy
View Post

Thank you. I assumed that would be the answer. I started reading information about requiring 20-30 amps on the 12V rails and from is on side of my box I translated mine was only carrying 17 amps and therefore getting worried.

I can always admit and be honest when I say that when it comes volts, watts and amps I have always been useless.

yes but your psu has 900 watts on the 12v rail split across 5 rails

that 17 amp is just the max that can be pulled on one rail at which point the safety cuts in to prevent over drawing one rail

but also keep in mind although it can do 17 amps per rail it cant do 17 amps every 12v rail simultaneously because 17amps x 5 rails = 85 amps but 900watts/12v = 75 amps

so try not to overload a single rail

and the max draw on one rail is 17 amps which is 17 x 12 = 204 watts that can be pulled from one rail

• Rep+
Reactions: Moynesy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts