Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some DDR2 pc675 because it was cheaper and am wondering if my board that can only support ddr 500 will work. Its the intel d915pbll and someone told me that it wouldnt clock down but old ddr did? anyone know?
Thanks
-barrett

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett

I purchased some DDR2 pc675 because it was cheaper and am wondering if my board that can only support ddr 500 will work. Its the intel d915pbll and someone told me that it wouldnt clock down but old ddr did? anyone know?
Thanks
-barrett

DDR2 will not work in a DDR supported mobo, if you purchase RAM which has a higher speed then what your board specifies it will underclock the RAm to the mobo max rate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, I meant ddr2 533. So ddr2 will clock down to the fastest possible speed the board supports?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Oops, I meant ddr2 533. So ddr2 will clock down to the fastest possible speed the board supports?

The RAM is supported by the mobo, the mobo will always clock the RAM down to the board limit.

It is impossible for a stick of RAM to force a mobo to exceed it's physical limits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help on this. I see what you are saying but this dude at my work said that they put ddr2-533 in a system that took a max of ddr2-400 and instead of clocking down to 400 it just didnt post. does this even make sense? -thanks again

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for your help on this. I see what you are saying but this dude at my work said that they put ddr2-533 in a system that took a max of ddr2-400 and instead of clocking down to 400 it just didnt post. does this even make sense? -thanks again

Yes it makes sense, it appears that the DDR2 they used may not even be compatible with the mobo they attempted to use it on. I have seen some cases where certian mobos take only certain types or RAM, when it is not on the list it is not read by the system.

But with a quality mobo, it should read all fitting RAM and underclock the RAM that is above it's limit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

The Mobo probably doesn't like that brand. It is not uncommon for a Motherboard to refuse to POST when using RAM that it hasn't been qual'd for. The Motherboard will run RAM at the speed the memory controller is set for. Memory doesn't controll the Mobo, it is the other way around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the only way for me to know if the micron pc5400 i bought will post on my intel d915pbll that supports up to 4200 is to test it... I hate restocking fees. Is it like 50% chance it will work or less? thanks

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

So the only way for me to know if the micron pc5400 i bought will post on my intel d915pbll that supports up to 4200 is to test it... I hate restocking fees. Is it like 50% chance it will work or less? thanks

Jsut visit Intel's website, and pull up the mobo to see if it has any RAM limitations, it should say directly on the specs page if there is any RAM it won't accept.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They dont have any ddr2-676 listed .. i wonder if that means it doesnt work or they just havent bothered testing it or what. O man i guess i will just have to find out the hard way. -thanks again

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

They dont have any ddr2-676 listed .. i wonder if that means it doesnt work or they just havent bothered testing it or what. O man i guess i will just have to find out the hard way. -thanks again

Do they list any certain RAM types that are incompatible?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts