Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that between the fact it is open air and that I can undervolt, it should be okay, and hopefully at relatively low fan speeds.

Worst case, I guess I could air cool the CPU and use both 360mm radiators to cool the 4090.

And on one hand, I can appreciate the cooling capacity of external radiators like the MO-RA3, but on the other, I am partial to the aesthetics of all internal radiators.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would like to comment but no experience with a high power gpu. I have i9-7980x plus Rx580 gpu. 2 rads were enough but I added another 360 rad and the temps remained the same. For me, you may need 3x360 rads but if you dont have room, can you stack 2 together? With 3 rads, you may need 2 rads just for the gpu and one rad for the cpu, two circuits. I saw the stats on the 4090 and its going to be hot.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have one 360x45 and one 480x45, should be fine together with the cpu. How thick are your rads? I don’t think 2x360x30 will be enough unfortunately depending on the cpu you’re trying to keep cool and quiet as well of course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A RTX 4090 can pull like 450W. The new card is a power hog beast. The normal heat sink and fans are 3 to 4 slots thick. I have a RTX 3090 with a 12900KF and two 360 rads and they cool both fine. I would think if I had a 4090 in this loop my over all temps would only go up maybe a few degrees if that. The fan type and speed matter a lot dealing with heat. In you have push pull or just push or pull. Also the type pump as well. A D5 to me is a must. Also the thickness of the rads.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a 3080 and a 5800X running off just a 360 (thick one in P/P) crammed in a modded Silverstone GD08, which had awful airflow, and with a small GPU undervolt it was still perfectly manageable. I was only running fans at about 700 RPM and GPU temps were in the low 50's max.

Now all of that is in an o11 mini with a 360 and 280 (360XE and 280 SR2, just in push) and with 800 RPM fans GPU temps barely get into the 40's. I'm going to be putting a 4090 in this same rig, and while I'll do another small undervolt, I expect it to be fine with fans at sub-1k rpm

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I am hoping that between the fact it is open air and that I can undervolt, it should be okay, and hopefully at relatively low fan speeds.

Worst case, I guess I could air cool the CPU and use both 360mm radiators to cool the 4090.

And on one hand, I can appreciate the cooling capacity of external radiators like the MO-RA3, but on the other, I am partial to the aesthetics of all internal radiators.
We will find out but so many factor have to be taken into account outside of pure radiator. I don't think we can plan ahead just if situation comes you need more rads, then you figure out the solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We will find out but so many factor have to be taken into account outside of pure radiator. I don't think we can plan ahead just if situation comes you need more rads, then you figure out the solution.
Yeah, it's really hard to tell right now because specs alone don't give us the full picture. Will be clearer in the coming months.

·
PC Evangelist
48,525 Posts
Should be enough. I have 12900K @ 250W and 6900 XT @ 500W and 2x360mm is fine. You can handle about 1000W with 10-15C delta.

• Rep+
Reactions: silencefreak
1 - 10 of 10 Posts