Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I mean is if I got the p67-ud7 for example would a simple bios update allow for uefi or does it require a certain chip? I dont want a board that isnt uefi but at the same time the all black is so awesome

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
I'm pretty sure they will not. EFI requires a larger storage space as opposed to the BIOS chips that come on these boards.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

I'm pretty sure they will not. EFI requires a larger storage space as opposed to the BIOS chips that come on these boards.

ok that was my thought I just wanted to have some1 confirm or deny my thinking. Guess Ill be getting an asus board

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Quote:

Gigabyte:
"We're working on possibly bringing UEFI to our products, but we don't have a timeframe yet."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...re,2486-3.html

EDIT: The BIOS chip on the UD7 is 32Mbit, same as ASUS' current UEFI motherboards, so lets hope for the best

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was just reading a review from some1 here on ocn and it said this: "ALERT! I want to mention that each BIOS is a 32Mbit Flash Award bios, not 16Mbit like in the past, this means future support for EFI, as easy as flashing the BIOS!!! So ASUS has EFI and GIGABYTE has support for EFI. I like the fact that they give you the option, because right now we don't know how stable EFI is for overclocking or in general!"

from http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/887761-p67a-ud7-most-depth-preview-review.html

Is this true? if so is it true for the ud5/4 as well?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
these BIOS chips on these boards are big enough for UEFI. They are UEFI Capable.

I think the guy above you answered your question. Gigabyte is just getting it perfected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx;11961920
Your UD9 has dual 8MBit BIOSes, my UD7 has dual 32MBit BIOSes, there is no reason to put those chips there for nothing. UEFI boot loader is already in there, no GUi yet tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts