Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thought about this for a while. Will there ever be a game that has virtually every kind of game within it (as far as the laws of physics in that game allows, like magic being impossible or possible).
Take GTA for example. It would be a good platform to start on because of its freedom and real-life simulation. Think of all the other games that could be built into a game like that...

The Sims, including character customization of that level and life customization included in the Sims games.

A game like Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen. You could have a whole city/world with stuff to do like GTA and other games, and you could take off into space and explore the galaxy in a style similar to those 2 games. Which includes alien based games like Mass Effect/Halo etc.

Arma, Battlefield, etc. War games. Even games like Ghost Recon/Splinter Cell.

Sports games. Racing games. Fighting games.

Elements of every game genre built throughout the world. Like puzzles/strategy, co-op, horror, simulation, educational. And if you allow our normal laws of physics to bend in game, allowing elements like magic, that opens up another whole variety of game possibilities.

Even games like Minecraft/Space Engineers. Allowing you to build just about anything.

Basically any game following similar laws of possibility could be built into one game. Any activity we can do in real life. All of it massively online. Of course the development effort would have to be massive. It couldn't really be done at this point in time. But I think once internet speeds increase, heavyduty hardware is more widespread, and the development technology gets there, that this is what games will be moving towards.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sure, you'd able to roam your house but everything else is DLC.

But seriously can you imagine a plot for such game? It is going to be dozen games put into one, why do we need it?

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Then you can play the latest games on the new computer that you bought in the game that you will play in order to play the new games. Lol jk. I dont think it will work and will probably be boring and to ambitious.

·
Registered
783 Posts
its going to take a long time. Here is what you would be asking:

3rd person view and first person view
Dynamic Day and night for each planet depending on their position to the sun in each solar system/universe
100s of if not 1000s of planets each with its own AI, environment/terrain, thousands of cities (this is an entire planet we are talking bout now), unique animal only found on those planets
1000s if not millions of AI on each planet acting on their own and responding to player character's action or allegiance to one group or to how each AI find each other as an enemy or not.
1000s of weapons from small fire arm ex. hand guns, assault rifle, grenades to guns, and missile's for aircraft or ships to having planetary weapons
100s of aircraft from super fast to super slow to being heavy armored and lightly armored aircraft or how much an aircraft can carry material.

Their are other stuff I forgot to mention because im drawing up blanks now but ill edit once they come back to me

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clao View Post

its going to take a long time. Here is what you would be asking:

3rd person view and first person view
Dynamic Day and night for each planet depending on their position to the sun in each solar system/universe
100s of if not 1000s of planets each with its own AI, environment/terrain, thousands of cities (this is an entire planet we are talking bout now), unique animal only found on those planets
1000s if not millions of AI on each planet acting on their own and responding to player character's action or allegiance to one group or to how each AI find each other as an enemy or not.
1000s of weapons from small fire arm ex. hand guns, assault rifle, grenades to guns, and missile's for aircraft or ships to having planetary weapons
100s of aircraft from super fast to super slow to being heavy armored and lightly armored aircraft or how much an aircraft can carry material.

Their are other stuff I forgot to mention because im drawing up blanks now but ill edit once they come back to me
I'm not saying it's a feasible undertaking at this point in time. It'd take literally 50x the development effort that there ever has been on any game. I'm talking like 20-30 years in the future when something like this is more realistic.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Second life

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
version of GTA that includes both a prison sentence system if busted, and perma death. long term heat effects i thought were lacking in all gta games. the character simply outran the po-po, and the heat level dropped. if you ended up on higher star tiers, it would be harder to escape, but your star level should stay the same, and law enforcement would be able to find you (unless you significantly changed your looks).

court hearings would become a dialogue based mini-game, and if player chooses to be guilty (based on chosen dialogue), you are sent to a prison mini game to buff up and increase stats, aside from doing it outside (maybe attach some kind of rare unlockable shivs, or tattoos, etc). getting out of prison of course, will have the option to escape prematurely, or by carrying out your sentence (via "good behavior", lol)

prison sentences wouldn't need to be real time length, but scaled accordingly to allow players to explore the prison system a bit, and be most notorious gang member outside, and the most feared on the inside.

oh, and local co-op, or just co-op campaign (most likely will be online). gta with even more traffic and pedestrians (performance drops expected).

·
Registered
3,471 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

Does Star Citizen count?
The OP want something like Star citizen or Eve Online while in space PLUS GTA V while on a specific planet or not flying a aircraft like setting the aircraft on autopilot and exploring the interior of the aircraft or keeping the aircraft properly maintained/repair.

This is doable however the problem is that the server/cpu has to calculate the positioning of each planet in the universe to their respective sun and at the same time give command to 1000s of individual NPC AI. Single player mode you can lessen the stress to the server/cpu by setting up each solar system with a loading screen. I'll post more suggestions
biggrin.gif

I don't think there is any consumer cpu that can do all this at once. Maybe supercomputers and business cpu can do it.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
It's not even a good idea to try and make such a thing.

While on the subject though I have to point out that the most encompassing game I've found is Fallout: New Vegas as I described here, and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer is the runner up. Fun fact: Both were developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts