Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a thread earlier indicating a BSOD when loading window. I know bad ram stick could cause BSOD, but I still receive BSOD after using a ram that passed memtest. Therefore, I am proposing a new possibility for my BSOD. Since I using the hard drive from my laptop on the new system that I built so I can save money and avoid reinstalling the window again. Will going from one chipset(intel) to another(amd) might be the possible cause of my BSOD?

edit: forgot to metion that if I install the hard drive back to my laptop, it works prefectly fine. So the disk is in good condition

edit 2: After I reinstall windows vista on the new machine, everything worked out fine. Now ready to do some ocing after switching to window 7 rc. Thanks everyone for the help, I could not possible do it without your helps.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i would definately reformat the hard drive if it was running on another motherboard, especially with a different chipset.

edit: in your other post you mentioned it would bs straight after post. i'd say you've found your problem

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yes, taking windows and switching out the whole system can leave traces of drivers, low level system config and other problems, also the old chipset drivers may still be in play. I would definatly format, I'm surprised you actually got windows to boot.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jebus101
View Post

i would definately reformat the hard drive if it was running on another motherboard, especially with a different chipset.

edit: in your other post you mentioned it would bs straight after post. i'd say you've found your problem

Very unfortunately, I only have IDE dvd rom, but the only IDE slot was covered by my video card, and don't have a SATA dvd rom yet (it's on the way). So I'll prabably have to wait until next week to verify this thought

·
Registered
891 Posts

in a standard motherboard layout the ide connector is located in red. ive never heard of it being covered by a video card :O

·
Registered
891 Posts
my bad, i just checked an image of your model... wow thats bad placement!!

i'd recommend using onboard video to format & then plug in your card... but your mobo doesnt have that either
bummer dude!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
It helps if you can read the BSOD error it usually gives hints towards what the problem is. but the best guess anyone could give would be you need to format and re-install windows since the hard drive is changing system since the hard drive stores information about the hardware it is running on once you install windows. other causes are RAM, unstable overclock on CPU or GPU (BIOS), lack of voltage to certain parts, the list goes on... and BTW, if it is the RAM, it will generally have a count up to 100 on the BSOD screen and have a MEM_MANAGEMENT BSOD error or something like that.

And welcome post 100

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jebus101
View Post

my bad, i just checked an image of your model... wow thats bad placement!!

i'd recommend using onboard video to format & then plug in your card... but your mobo doesnt have that either
bummer dude!

other than a bad placement and not having a onboard video, that's a good board for its price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts