Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i have entered the mod competition for 2010, i am almost finished but the picture's my camara is taking now are really bad i think
Its a canon Powershot A460 with 5Mpixel and it make's my computer look different then it actually is

I spotted an Samsung ES60 for just 85,- euro

Will this camara be able to take good close up picture's of my computer ?
If not is there any cheap camara that can ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The camera you have now seems to be fine, maybe if you tweak the white balance or add some more light in the area you are taking the pictures in. more megapixles wont do much for the quality of your pictures, if you have a tripod try and take the pictures at a low ISO with no flash. that would be the cheapest fix

·
Registered
765 Posts
You could usually get away with using the camera you already own, its all in a tripod or a flat box with a few books to get the right height, and lighting. Get some small lights and experiment with positions.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it just the settings i am using on this canon camara now that it take's bad picture's ?

what are good settings for close-up picture's ?

sorry i'm a picture noob still

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Use bright natural light and use the cameras macro mode (flower icon on Canon's). Keep the ISO as low as possible (smaller number = better) and disable the flash.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I went from a 9mega pixel to a 12 megapixel and the 12 megapixel takes crappy macro shots. I think it is the operator though.

But a newer camera never hurts to get. Just have to go around taking shoots and try the different settings to learn the best setting to use and when to use it.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Why not newer tech and easier shooting helps out on things a great deal. I mean a what 2003 - 2004 year 5 megapixel production camera. Heck yea i say upgrade and be happy.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K
View Post

Why not newer tech and easier shooting helps out on things a great deal. I mean a what 2003 - 2004 year 5 megapixel production camera. Heck yea i say upgrade and be happy.

No.

- Adding more megapixels won't make it better, it will just increase the resolution and make the sensor denser.
- Getting a new camera won't magically make his photos amazing.
- New tech just improves (or does the opposite at times) parts of the camera, but everything still depends on the photographer.

Heck, I'm using a camera from the 1950's and get great results.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
You're right it wont make him a better photograph taker. But the new point and clicks make it easier on the average person to use.

As i said he need to take it and just go taking pictures and try all the settings shooting. And i'm glad you got a 1950 camera that works for you well.

Though perhaps he can get the new samsung es60 and sale you the old 5 megapixel since you like older stuff. And everyone wins then.

• Rep+
Reactions: Farih

·
Registered
447 Posts
canons and pentax's have the best macro shoting capabilities for compact camera's so ahh well either dslr would be the next best step up but what you have now really is one of the better cameras for macro shooting for a compact camera so I would just live with what you got I think if your dissapointed with this your going to be dissapointed with all compact camera's and a good dslr's with a nice professional macro lens can easily cost the same ammount your computer is worth sadly. So I'd say your fine.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K
View Post

You're right it wont make him a better photograph taker. But the new point and clicks make it easier on the average person to use.

As i said he need to take it and just go taking pictures and try all the settings shooting. And i'm glad you got a 1950 camera that works for you well.

Though perhaps he can get the new samsung es60 and sale you the old 5 megapixel since you like older stuff. And everyone wins then.

How do they make it easier for the average person to use?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for all help people

I still bought the new camara, its alot smaller so easy to walk around with
on this camara i can do alot of settings to.

I have to set ISO to lowest for picture's up close ?

how to know when to use what setting ?

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Quote:
A camera's ISO function sets the light sensitivity of the camera's image sensor (this is similar to the speed rating of FILM). ISO settings are often rated at 100, 200, or 400 but go as high as 800, 1600, and even 3200 on some advanced models. A lower ISO setting is used when capturing overly bright scenes, since it reduces the light sensitivy of the image sensor. This is ideal when shooting at the beach, on a ski slope, or under the midday sun. A higher ISO settings is often used when shooting under dimmer conditions (cloudy days, indoors, etc.) since it increases the light sensitivity of the image sensor. As brightness in a scene is decreased the camera tries to compensate by slowing the shutter speed which in turn lets in more light but increases the risk of motion blur. To prevent this, you can increase the ISO or sensitivity of the camera, which allows the camera to select a higher shutter speed, thus reducing motion blur.
http://www.cameratown.com/guides/iso.cfm#axzz0s97vtmrf

With my crappy point and shoot any ISO above 200 gives me grainy pictures so I always use the lowest setting, like marin and others said though, use the macro setting for close up, it's usually a little flower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts