Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dream Chaser
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work computer is old and slow. I was told I could change it to whatever I felt neccessary. I wanted to throw an e6600 into it. Can someone check out the cpu-z screenie and confirm that it should work. I know the sockets right but just want to make sure before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.

http://imageshack.us/a/img507/5484/screensqc.jpg

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yep, that'll work.
My two cents: look into getting more RAM before you invest in a new CPU. I can't see how much you have, but if you actually have 256MB like yous signature says, there's your problem.

Edit:
Whoops, that says netbook. How much RAM do you have in that thing?

·
Dream Chaser
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yea I only have 512mb ram. That was next step too. Been a long time since I needed 184 pin ram lol. Saw some ok Mushkin blacklines on the egg for 25 bucks or something. Think this board supports up to 4 gigs of RAM.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Definitely spend money on RAM (2GB should be good) before you get a new CPU. That's what's holding you back.
If you aren't happy with the performance that RAM gives you, then I'd say get a new CPU.
(well, and SSD would be even better if you feel like spending that kind of money.)

·
Dream Chaser
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I am going to do both for sure. Definitely not an SSD though. Not spending that kind of money for this load, lol. Thanks again guys. +repped

·
Dream Chaser
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all....quick follow up. I got a used E6600, loaded it up, applied some thermal paste and attempted to start it and nothing but a little fan spin. No post, no beeps. I have installed close to a hundred processors in my life and pretty sure its DOA, but just want to make sure I am not forgetting something. Its been awhile. I checked all cables, RAM, cleared the BIOS and tried starting over to make sure new CPU was properly seated. Nothing alleviated the issue. I put the old processor back in, machine fired right up. Prior to installation, I cleaned machine, discharged any static electricity before touching CPU, and made sure good contact between fan and CPU and like I said nothing but some a lil' fan show. Any other suggestions? The screenie from CPU-Z of my mainboard details is in OP. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
That's cause the guys above didn't bother to check the chipset....

It's a 915G... that's P4 only

That won't work with an E6600

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.