Overclock.net banner

Will this pentium D be woth it?

2096 Views 53 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dcstegg228
LINKKKKKK

i have a p4 socket 775 or whatever, and it is 3.0 ghz and 1024k l2 and a 16 sumthin l1

This here will have a bigger cache and it is the same speed.. so will dual core be better than what i have? and is it worth the money?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I disagree (go back to your 2.4 buddy, jk) The extra cache really makes the difference, the OC potential is there, they run cooler than the prescotts and run the new 65nm tech. I would actually spend 100 bux less and get the 920 for 260, the best bang for your buck.. Spend the extra on a new motherboard..
Also, your gonna need a i875, x955, or x975 chipset to run these processors.. your 915 isn't going to cut it.

Edit: yea this is like having 2 processors on 1, so your multitasking is going to be much more efficient. Both the cores operate at the same frequency.

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Wait? graphics chipset thing? I dont even know if i can upgrade the board or overclock this... its a pre built machine from hp.

You would need a new board period.. (wait, your trying to put this presler in your current rig?)

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

I wouldn't spend any money on such a small performance upgrade. You're better off switching to AMD or waiting to see Intel's new release this summer. Any of the Intel chips out now, I don't feel would give you enough performance boost to warrant all the money you'd be spending. Hold off or if you must buy now, get an AMD dual core. Btw, yes, you can get a new motherboard as long as your case is ATX compliant.

That is about the last thing he should do.. Heck, the presler OCes like mad...none of the AMD cpu's run 65nm tech or have 4MB of cache.. He is looking for multitasking, aka. intel's slogan. And you cant tell me that a 260 dollar Preser wouldnt be an upgrade over a P4 3.0GHz.. Sheesh the thing that would be the best upgrade would be a new gfx card.

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

YEs i want to put it in my sig rig. it is a prebuild hp machine REPEAT! it is a HP machine. i dont thing i can go amd and im not sure if i can even uopgrade this. What would happenb if i just tore out the old mobo and swapped in a new one? and the recovery technology on this thing for restoring windows would not recognise the machgione anymore if i replaced the mobo.

It won't work, you would need a new motherboard, either a i875P, 955x or 975x your chipset (i915) won't work with that processor. If you replace your motherboard, you don't have to reformat your HD, you can still keep all your files.. If It wouldn't reconise your new motherboard then you would have to reformat your HD (make backups before you do anything) and then re-install windows from the HP backup disks...
sry for dbl post

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

So i need a new gfx card? hook me up with a nice CHEAP pcie one...plz

Cheap for some people means 50 bux, for others, it can mean 500, price range would be helpful

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Uhh 150 maybe.. and i should get that pentium D and can i overclock it in my HP?

Ok, wait, but to get that processor you need a new mobo! That processor wont work on your motherboard period..

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

ok if you want this new cpu, you will need a new mobo, it will come with sata ports, but u cant just plug the hard drives in and go... you will have to reformat, and your PSU is much too weak... you will need atleast 450 watt, preferably over 500watt... and for much better performance you will also want another 512 of ram, oh and to recover the system you will just have to make a backup of the registry to recover if something goes bad...

Uh, you dont have to reformat, I have changed my motherboard 3x without reformatting.. all you have to do is install the new motherboard drivers before you switch out the board, and it works like magic. It is recommended that your reformat and reinstall windows, but you don't have to.. Yea, your gonna need a new PSU.. and probably some new memory.

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

65 nm transistor size means nothing as does the 4 mb of L2 cache as can be seen in any review comparing the AMD dual core to any Intel Dual core. The fact remains that an AMD dual core is faster and runs cooler than any Intel dual core out. Do you dispute this fact?
The reason I suggest him waiting is because yes, a new Pressler would be an upgrade, but it doesn't warrant the money he'd be spending to get it. I stand by my recommendation to either wait for the new Intel core this Summer or switch over to AMD dual core.

Yet, he would be going way out of his way to buy an AMD setup, for hardly any preformance gain that he wants. He wants multi-tasking, he made that clear in his 1st post... And I would take the OC potential of a presler over a 3800+

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Im not buying an amd... jesus mother bumper.. NO AMD! maybe next time

Exactly gg... thanks

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

Read back a couple posts... i dont have a windows cd

Uh, my mom has an HP (didn't trust me to build here one) Hp allows you to create backup CD's and use those to install windows xp home, is this how it works with your computer?

· Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Quote:

DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z

Yea, buying an manufactured PC can lead to upgrade issues, sorry.
uh, you can close the thread yourself, under thread tools in the upper right hand part.

WAIT: you need to reformat your C: drive, not your D: (recovery drive)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.