Overclock.net banner

Will this pentium D be woth it?

2093 Views 53 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dcstegg228
LINKKKKKK

i have a p4 socket 775 or whatever, and it is 3.0 ghz and 1024k l2 and a 16 sumthin l1

This here will have a bigger cache and it is the same speed.. so will dual core be better than what i have? and is it worth the money?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Wait? graphics chipset thing? I dont even know if i can upgrade the board or overclock this... its a pre built machine from hp.

I wouldn't spend any money on such a small performance upgrade. You're better off switching to AMD or waiting to see Intel's new release this summer. Any of the Intel chips out now, I don't feel would give you enough performance boost to warrant all the money you'd be spending. Hold off or if you must buy now, get an AMD dual core. Btw, yes, you can get a new motherboard as long as your case is ATX compliant.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

That is about the last thing he should do.. Heck, the presler OCes like mad...none of the AMD cpu's run 65nm tech or have 4MB of cache.. He is looking for multitasking, aka. intel's slogan. And you cant tell me that a 260 dollar Preser wouldnt be an upgrade over a P4 3.0GHz.. Sheesh the thing that would be the best upgrade would be a new gfx card.

65 nm transistor size means nothing as does the 4 mb of L2 cache as can be seen in any review comparing the AMD dual core to any Intel Dual core. The fact remains that an AMD dual core is faster and runs cooler than any Intel dual core out. Do you dispute this fact?
The reason I suggest him waiting is because yes, a new Pressler would be an upgrade, but it doesn't warrant the money he'd be spending to get it. I stand by my recommendation to either wait for the new Intel core this Summer or switch over to AMD dual core.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

hey hey hey... now dont be shunnin down on us intel boys... we never did anything to you guys but loose in all the benchmarks...LOL im j/k you have a good point with that.... but the intel will do just perfect for the multitasking he plans to do...

I'm not bashing Intel, I'm telling him that if he wants to upgrade that he should wait for Intel's new core coming out this summer. Spending a ton of dough for another core that won't be used a lot of the time doesn't make sense. For the single core applications, he's actually dropping a little cpu speed. It just doesn't seem economical. I'd look for a gpu upgrade and maybe snatch a psu to help lower the cost when the real upgrade comes. It's his money, but I don't think he's getting enough performance upgrade for his dollar. The single core apps are gaining what......a drop from 3 ghz to 2.8 ghz? Nah, I'd pass.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dcstegg228

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

so its like 3.9 thz?

Intel is completely dropping the P4 architecture and is redesigning an entirely different chip. The P4 design wasn't a good one for them and is at the peak of how far it can go. Haven't you noticed that they haven't released higher clock speeds even with the smaller transistor sizes? Anyways, Intel has been sitting in second place for a long time, but this new core should put them back ontop if everything goes well. It's still too early to say for sure, but the early performance estimates that it will beat the new AMD cores based on DDR2. It's all cycles, Intel will be on a brand new core and AMD is at the end of theirs. Both companies will battle back and forth as time goes on, but I really think that Intel will have the fastest chips before the end of summer. You might not see an increase in clock speeds, but the new Intel cores will complete more instructions per clock cycle than the P4 line did, so performance will be much higher even at the same clock speed.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the explination! and why do they make them so small? i mean.. id gladly buy one the size of a brick if it was faster than the others! wouldnt you?

You're confusing transistor size being smaller with actual chip size. A smaller transistor has several advantages to a larger one. It will consume less power, which in turn generates less heat, which in turn allows for higher clock speeds, etc (all generalities). The really nice thing about transistor sizes being shrunk even further is that they will soon consume so little power that they will be included in more and more devices. How nice would it be to walk to your refrigerator and have a built in lcd screen with infinite recipes at the touch of a button? Or how about a preset shower temperature with multiple setting configurations so each person can have their own. That could include shower head angle,temperature, even timed shower. The possibilities get exciting if you look at where technology is going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.