Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

People say that dual cores are not so useful for now (since not may programs take advantage of dual cores), but it's good to be safe for the future.


It would be worth the money, however you'll have to spend quite a bit on cooling if you want to overclock it and keep it cool. As you may well know, a dual-core processor is as same as running two CPUs at the same time, so without sufficient cooling, you won't be in need of a heater.


Can i use it to set like...halo has afinity on cpu 0 and all other stuff has cpu 1? and the speed will be the same on both things? i want to do some mad multitasking so this is the same as having two of my current processors?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

I disagree (go back to your 2.4 buddy, jk) The extra cache really makes the difference, the OC potential is there, they run cooler than the prescotts and run the new 65nm tech. I would actually spend 100 bux less and get the 920 for 260, the best bang for your buck.. Spend the extra on a new motherboard..
Also, your gonna need a i875, x955, or x975 chipset to run these processors.. your 915 isn't going to cut it.

Wait? graphics chipset thing? I dont even know if i can upgrade the board or overclock this... its a pre built machine from hp.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

You would need a new board period.. (wait, your trying to put this presler in your current rig?)

YEs i want to put it in my sig rig. it is a prebuild hp machine REPEAT! it is a HP machine. i dont thing i can go amd and im not sure if i can even uopgrade this. What would happenb if i just tore out the old mobo and swapped in a new one? and the recovery technology on this thing for restoring windows would not recognise the machgione anymore if i replaced the mobo.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

That is about the last thing he should do.. Heck, the presler OCes like mad...none of the AMD cpu's run 65nm tech or have 4MB of cache.. He is looking for multitasking, aka. intel's slogan. And you cant tell me that a 260 dollar Preser wouldnt be an upgrade over a P4 3.0GHz.. Sheesh the thing that would be the best upgrade would be a new gfx card.


So i need a new gfx card? hook me up with a nice CHEAP pcie one...plz
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

Cheap for some people means 50 bux, for others, it can mean 500, price range would be helpful



Uhh 150 maybe.. and i should get that pentium D and can i overclock it in my HP?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

That mobo won't cut it, just remember that. With the new motherboard and good cooling, yes you'll be able to overclock the CPU.

I'd like to see the spec. of your PSU. And what bandwidth your RAM is. (PC-####).


I am so overly confused!! How will i be able to overclock this? and is my hard drive just gonna hook up and magicly work with new evreything else??? and how can i posibly recover the system when the time comes? because my recovery software will not recognise anything...and if not to much trouble pick me out a new mobo... i need it cheap, and my psu has 300W output max.. thats what it is labeld. the mobo also must have sata because my hard drive is sata. i have 512mb of ram Two sticks of 256mb i dont know the timing and dont know if its ddr 1 or 2
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

ya your chipset is to old on you MOBO to use the new processor... u NEED to buy a new one, then u can use all the other parts from the hp and oc the cpu....

PS: with a new mobo you wont have to worry about burning your hand on any heatsinks....LOL



HOW IS MY FRIGGEN MOBO CHIPSET OLD???????????????????????? the damn computer is only 6 months old.. damn... friggen hate stupid hp *****es

and te he ... no more burns for me

EDIT: Here are the exact specs from the hp website! http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...00233082&lc=en
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

Well, I'm sorry to say Dcstegg, but this is what happens when you buy a pre-built computer. You get headaches when you want to upgrade.


I forgot to point out that the HD you have now may need to be reformatted when you hook it up to the new motherboard. However, if it's a motherboard from the same company (ASUS, in your case), the HD may not need to be reformatted. That's what happened with mine, although I reformatted anyways.


You will need to buy a new PSU if you want to overclock. 300W isn't enough at all.

In addition, it looks like you'll need to learn the basis of overclocking. Read some guides in the Intel CPU section, and you'll understand what it is.

This looks bad for me, i cant just go and reformat... i would need to buy a new windows cd because of the technology they use to reformat it. and if i try after replacing parts.. it wont recognise the computer and will automaticly abort.
Click to inlarge.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

Yet, he would be going way out of his way to buy an AMD setup, for hardly any preformance gain that he wants. He wants multi-tasking, he made that clear in his 1st post... And I would take the OC potential of a presler over a 3800+

Im not buying an amd... jesus mother bumper.. NO AMD! maybe next time
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

oh...... well thats a problem... so it sounds to me like you have a little more saving to do before building this new pc... i know it sux... im broke as hell and desperate for some upgrades of my own...


DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z

This is how it reformats
This looks bad for me, i cant just go and reformat... i would need to buy a new windows cd because of the technology they use to reformat it. and if i try after replacing parts.. it wont recognise the computer and will automaticly abort.
Click to inlarge.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

Yea, buying an manufactured PC can lead to upgrade issues, sorry.
uh, you can close the thread yourself, under thread tools in the upper right hand part.

WAIT: you need to reformat your C: drive, not your D: (recovery drive)

cant close... must need more rep
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

oh its some new super 1337 cpu they are working on and its supposed to be really powerful and use less energy and run cooler... i dont know much about it though

so its like 3.9 thz?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by sccr64472

You're confusing transistor size being smaller with actual chip size. A smaller transistor has several advantages to a larger one. It will consume less power, which in turn generates less heat, which in turn allows for higher clock speeds, etc (all generalities). The really nice thing about transistor sizes being shrunk even further is that they will soon consume so little power that they will be included in more and more devices. How nice would it be to walk to your refrigerator and have a built in lcd screen with infinite recipes at the touch of a button? Or how about a preset shower temperature with multiple setting configurations so each person can have their own. That could include shower head angle,temperature, even timed shower. The possibilities get exciting if you look at where technology is going.

wow, that sounds cool. but they should just make a big chip with a jillion transistors and have it uberfast
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top