Overclock.net banner

Will this pentium D be woth it?

2097 Views 53 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dcstegg228
LINKKKKKK

i have a p4 socket 775 or whatever, and it is 3.0 ghz and 1024k l2 and a 16 sumthin l1

This here will have a bigger cache and it is the same speed.. so will dual core be better than what i have? and is it worth the money?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
ya your chipset is to old on you MOBO to use the new processor... u NEED to buy a new one, then u can use all the other parts from the hp and oc the cpu....

PS: with a new mobo you wont have to worry about burning your hand on any heatsinks....LOL

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
ok if you want this new cpu, you will need a new mobo, it will come with sata ports, but u cant just plug the hard drives in and go... you will have to reformat, and your PSU is much too weak... you will need atleast 450 watt, preferably over 500watt... and for much better performance you will also want another 512 of ram, oh and to recover the system you will just have to make a backup of the registry to recover if something goes bad...

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

65 nm transistor size means nothing as does the 4 mb of L2 cache as can be seen in any review comparing the AMD dual core to any Intel Dual core. The fact remains that an AMD dual core is faster and runs cooler than any Intel dual core out. Do you dispute this fact?
The reason I suggest him waiting is because yes, a new Pressler would be an upgrade, but it doesn't warrant the money he'd be spending to get it. I stand by my recommendation to either wait for the new Intel core this Summer or switch over to AMD dual core.

hey hey hey... now dont be shunnin down on us intel boys... we never did anything to you guys but loose in all the benchmarks...LOL im j/k you have a good point with that.... but the intel will do just perfect for the multitasking he plans to do...

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

I'm not bashing Intel, I'm telling him that if he wants to upgrade that he should wait for Intel's new core coming out this summer. Spending a ton of dough for another core that won't be used a lot of the time doesn't make sense. For the single core applications, he's actually dropping a little cpu speed. It just doesn't seem economical. I'd look for a gpu upgrade and maybe snatch a psu to help lower the cost when the real upgrade comes. It's his money, but I don't think he's getting enough performance upgrade for his dollar. The single core apps are gaining what......a drop from 3 ghz to 2.8 ghz? Nah, I'd pass.

ya i know you werent... i was just playin around... but i personally think the dual cores will become very handy in a year or so... so upgrading his cpu to a dual core will be benneficial in the future more than now... but as you said its his money, and if he has his eyes set on a certain cpu, then hes gonna get it.

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Im not buying an amd... jesus mother bumper.. NO AMD! maybe next time

LOL thata boy!

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
ok so whats this about you windows cd not letting you reformat or something?

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
oh...... well thats a problem... so it sounds to me like you have a little more saving to do before building this new pc... i know it sux... im broke as hell and desperate for some upgrades of my own...

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z

just start saving and then one day go online shopping crazy and BAM... you have your dream machine!! dont get your hopes down...just start saving and the prices will come down some to from where they are now, so it will be a little cheaper when the time comes

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

cant close... must need more rep

ya dont we all
well good luck to you no matter what you choose to do, just start saving for the killer build.... c ya round!

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
oh its some new super 1337 cpu they are working on and its supposed to be really powerful and use less energy and run cooler... i dont know much about it though

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

That one says even less...

ok i tried... lol he explained it all really anyways... lol i dont know jack about the furture intell stuff.... LOL sry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.