Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
4,748 Posts
People say that dual cores are not so useful for now (since not may programs take advantage of dual cores), but it's good to be safe for the future.

It would be worth the money, however you'll have to spend quite a bit on cooling if you want to overclock it and keep it cool. As you may well know, a dual-core processor is as same as running two CPUs at the same time, so without sufficient cooling, you won't be in need of a heater.

· Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Uhh 150 maybe.. and i should get that pentium D and can i overclock it in my HP?

That mobo won't cut it, just remember that. With the new motherboard and good cooling, yes you'll be able to overclock the CPU.

I'd like to see the spec. of your PSU. And what bandwidth your RAM is. (PC-####).

· Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Well, I'm sorry to say Dcstegg, but this is what happens when you buy a pre-built computer. You get headaches when you want to upgrade.

I forgot to point out that the HD you have now may need to be reformatted when you hook it up to the new motherboard. However, if it's a motherboard from the same company (ASUS, in your case), the HD may not need to be reformatted. That's what happened with mine, although I reformatted anyways.

You will need to buy a new PSU if you want to overclock. 300W isn't enough at all.

In addition, it looks like you'll need to learn the basis of overclocking. Read some guides in the Intel CPU section, and you'll understand what it is.

EDIT: Gotta tune out. Peace out, folks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.