Overclock.net banner

Will this pentium D be woth it?

2094 Views 53 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dcstegg228
LINKKKKKK

i have a p4 socket 775 or whatever, and it is 3.0 ghz and 1024k l2 and a 16 sumthin l1

This here will have a bigger cache and it is the same speed.. so will dual core be better than what i have? and is it worth the money?
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
ok if you want this new cpu, you will need a new mobo, it will come with sata ports, but u cant just plug the hard drives in and go... you will have to reformat, and your PSU is much too weak... you will need atleast 450 watt, preferably over 500watt... and for much better performance you will also want another 512 of ram, oh and to recover the system you will just have to make a backup of the registry to recover if something goes bad...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Well, I'm sorry to say Dcstegg, but this is what happens when you buy a pre-built computer. You get headaches when you want to upgrade.


I forgot to point out that the HD you have now may need to be reformatted when you hook it up to the new motherboard. However, if it's a motherboard from the same company (ASUS, in your case), the HD may not need to be reformatted. That's what happened with mine, although I reformatted anyways.


You will need to buy a new PSU if you want to overclock. 300W isn't enough at all.

In addition, it looks like you'll need to learn the basis of overclocking. Read some guides in the Intel CPU section, and you'll understand what it is.

EDIT: Gotta tune out. Peace out, folks.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
15,625 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

That is about the last thing he should do.. Heck, the presler OCes like mad...none of the AMD cpu's run 65nm tech or have 4MB of cache.. He is looking for multitasking, aka. intel's slogan. And you cant tell me that a 260 dollar Preser wouldnt be an upgrade over a P4 3.0GHz.. Sheesh the thing that would be the best upgrade would be a new gfx card.

65 nm transistor size means nothing as does the 4 mb of L2 cache as can be seen in any review comparing the AMD dual core to any Intel Dual core. The fact remains that an AMD dual core is faster and runs cooler than any Intel dual core out. Do you dispute this fact?
The reason I suggest him waiting is because yes, a new Pressler would be an upgrade, but it doesn't warrant the money he'd be spending to get it. I stand by my recommendation to either wait for the new Intel core this Summer or switch over to AMD dual core.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

ok if you want this new cpu, you will need a new mobo, it will come with sata ports, but u cant just plug the hard drives in and go... you will have to reformat, and your PSU is much too weak... you will need atleast 450 watt, preferably over 500watt... and for much better performance you will also want another 512 of ram, oh and to recover the system you will just have to make a backup of the registry to recover if something goes bad...

Uh, you dont have to reformat, I have changed my motherboard 3x without reformatting.. all you have to do is install the new motherboard drivers before you switch out the board, and it works like magic. It is recommended that your reformat and reinstall windows, but you don't have to.. Yea, your gonna need a new PSU.. and probably some new memory.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sccr64472

65 nm transistor size means nothing as does the 4 mb of L2 cache as can be seen in any review comparing the AMD dual core to any Intel Dual core. The fact remains that an AMD dual core is faster and runs cooler than any Intel dual core out. Do you dispute this fact?
The reason I suggest him waiting is because yes, a new Pressler would be an upgrade, but it doesn't warrant the money he'd be spending to get it. I stand by my recommendation to either wait for the new Intel core this Summer or switch over to AMD dual core.

hey hey hey... now dont be shunnin down on us intel boys... we never did anything to you guys but loose in all the benchmarks...LOL im j/k you have a good point with that.... but the intel will do just perfect for the multitasking he plans to do...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
15,625 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

hey hey hey... now dont be shunnin down on us intel boys... we never did anything to you guys but loose in all the benchmarks...LOL im j/k you have a good point with that.... but the intel will do just perfect for the multitasking he plans to do...

I'm not bashing Intel, I'm telling him that if he wants to upgrade that he should wait for Intel's new core coming out this summer. Spending a ton of dough for another core that won't be used a lot of the time doesn't make sense. For the single core applications, he's actually dropping a little cpu speed. It just doesn't seem economical. I'd look for a gpu upgrade and maybe snatch a psu to help lower the cost when the real upgrade comes. It's his money, but I don't think he's getting enough performance upgrade for his dollar. The single core apps are gaining what......a drop from 3 ghz to 2.8 ghz? Nah, I'd pass.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Dcstegg228

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sccr64472

I'm not bashing Intel, I'm telling him that if he wants to upgrade that he should wait for Intel's new core coming out this summer. Spending a ton of dough for another core that won't be used a lot of the time doesn't make sense. For the single core applications, he's actually dropping a little cpu speed. It just doesn't seem economical. I'd look for a gpu upgrade and maybe snatch a psu to help lower the cost when the real upgrade comes. It's his money, but I don't think he's getting enough performance upgrade for his dollar. The single core apps are gaining what......a drop from 3 ghz to 2.8 ghz? Nah, I'd pass.

ya i know you werent... i was just playin around... but i personally think the dual cores will become very handy in a year or so... so upgrading his cpu to a dual core will be benneficial in the future more than now... but as you said its his money, and if he has his eyes set on a certain cpu, then hes gonna get it.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zipnogg

Well, I'm sorry to say Dcstegg, but this is what happens when you buy a pre-built computer. You get headaches when you want to upgrade.


I forgot to point out that the HD you have now may need to be reformatted when you hook it up to the new motherboard. However, if it's a motherboard from the same company (ASUS, in your case), the HD may not need to be reformatted. That's what happened with mine, although I reformatted anyways.


You will need to buy a new PSU if you want to overclock. 300W isn't enough at all.

In addition, it looks like you'll need to learn the basis of overclocking. Read some guides in the Intel CPU section, and you'll understand what it is.

This looks bad for me, i cant just go and reformat... i would need to buy a new windows cd because of the technology they use to reformat it. and if i try after replacing parts.. it wont recognise the computer and will automaticly abort.
Click to inlarge.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sccr64472

65 nm transistor size means nothing as does the 4 mb of L2 cache as can be seen in any review comparing the AMD dual core to any Intel Dual core. The fact remains that an AMD dual core is faster and runs cooler than any Intel dual core out. Do you dispute this fact?
The reason I suggest him waiting is because yes, a new Pressler would be an upgrade, but it doesn't warrant the money he'd be spending to get it. I stand by my recommendation to either wait for the new Intel core this Summer or switch over to AMD dual core.

Yet, he would be going way out of his way to buy an AMD setup, for hardly any preformance gain that he wants. He wants multi-tasking, he made that clear in his 1st post... And I would take the OC potential of a presler over a 3800+
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by wowza

Yet, he would be going way out of his way to buy an AMD setup, for hardly any preformance gain that he wants. He wants multi-tasking, he made that clear in his 1st post... And I would take the OC potential of a presler over a 3800+

Im not buying an amd... jesus mother bumper.. NO AMD! maybe next time
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Im not buying an amd... jesus mother bumper.. NO AMD! maybe next time

Exactly gg... thanks
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Im not buying an amd... jesus mother bumper.. NO AMD! maybe next time

LOL thata boy!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
ok so whats this about you windows cd not letting you reformat or something?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
6,537 Posts
oh...... well thats a problem... so it sounds to me like you have a little more saving to do before building this new pc... i know it sux... im broke as hell and desperate for some upgrades of my own...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

Read back a couple posts... i dont have a windows cd

Uh, my mom has an HP (didn't trust me to build here one) Hp allows you to create backup CD's and use those to install windows xp home, is this how it works with your computer?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

oh...... well thats a problem... so it sounds to me like you have a little more saving to do before building this new pc... i know it sux... im broke as hell and desperate for some upgrades of my own...


DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z
 

· Banned
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z

This is how it reformats
This looks bad for me, i cant just go and reformat... i would need to buy a new windows cd because of the technology they use to reformat it. and if i try after replacing parts.. it wont recognise the computer and will automaticly abort.
Click to inlarge.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dcstegg228

DAmnit!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!! oh well.. close this topic.. i cant get a pentium D because of this dumbazz hp ***z

Yea, buying an manufactured PC can lead to upgrade issues, sorry.
uh, you can close the thread yourself, under thread tools in the upper right hand part.

WAIT: you need to reformat your C: drive, not your D: (recovery drive)
 
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top