Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is all I know about the system at the moment.

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz @2.40GHz
3gb RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium

The system is in retail condition, no changes or modifications. According to the DELL website I should have a 300w power supply. I've read varying sources saying different things. I have a USB laser printer attached, but no other major hardware. The computer itself is about 6 months old.

Will it work? This is an important family computer and I can't really risk it dying on me.
Thanks.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
you need to check your power supply. the ATI Radeon HD 3450 and Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT that the system allows configuration for on dell.com only require a 300w PS. that 4670 requires a 400w at max load.

• Rep+
Reactions: linskingdom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know at max load, but I've seen MANY people say it works fine on a standard 300w as long as the system isn't a power hog (is mine by the way?)
Also, if it won't run, is an HD 3650 a viable option?

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
if you're only running =<2 HDDs and only =<3 fans, i'd say go for it. you can always return it. make sure your power supply has the appropriate power connectors.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyYoshi View Post
Imo you should be fine I have a 9800gt running on a 300w Gateway PSU.
...which is also a card that recommends a 400w PS.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Since the card doesn't need an external power, I think that it should be fine. My Dell has a 305w powersupply with the 12c amperage of 22a. That is pretty good for a 305w psu. I would say as long as you have at least 20a on the 12v rail, you should be able to run it fine.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
4670 is a 60w gpu. It takes less than 55w on load so it should be fine if things are at stock.
why does newegg say this?

Quote:
PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
400 Watt or greater power supply

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawnbox View Post
Overkill. Every company says that because they have to. They don't know what else you're running so they give some ridicously large number so people don't get on their cases for misrepresentation.

~B~

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawnbox View Post
First, that 400w refers to the whole system. Second, we need to see what psu actually can do on 12v which is matter to cpu and gpu. Certain model of dell pc comes with solid 300w psu. If a soild 300w psu can do 270w on 12v, then it is better than many generic 500w psu out there. For a example, even the Thermaltake TR2 430w psu, it only can do 216w on 12v so Dell 305w psu is better than TR2 430w.

·
PC Evangelist
47,371 Posts
It should work considering my system consumes 380W under load which is with a OC Q6600 and a 4870.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankThis View Post
Overkill. Every company says that because they have to. They don't know what else you're running so they give some ridicously large number so people don't get on their cases for misrepresentation.

~B~
i figured as much, but that's a huge variance.. you'd think big video card manufacturers would provide a PSU calculator for their customers. but i guess that could be complicated too for the novice. thanks for the response though

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankThis View Post

~B~
This right here.

I just put a 4830 into a friends HP Pavilian, it actually has the exact same specs as yours so it could be the same model.

The 4830 works perfectly, it just didn't have a six pin power plug, luckily it came with an adapter.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Well, mainly for one reason...

They don't know what your system specs are so they always have to put it higher than needed. plus they don't know the quality of your powersupply. Here is an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152019 380w powersupply, but it only has 11a on the 12v rail. That powersupply is highly over-rated and should be something like 250w.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The wattage ratings are all scams, if you ask me. I run an overclocked
conroe system with 3x Sata HDD and 2x 8800gts 512 on a 430w Antec. You could probably get by on a 250w psu lol.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Wattage is a measure of how much heat the PSU can take as a byproduct of current. What you need to measure is the current, and how many AMPs are on the 12v line. If its less than 20 amps, I say forget it. If its an 'important family computer and cannot risk breaking' then dont doi it, because its a risk.

Either upgrade the PSU, or go with a lower voltage card. If it doesnt have a power connector, most likely it will be able to run without problem. You might not have much in your system, but you DO have a q6600 in there, and thats a power hungry beast.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloborgg View Post
You 100% sure Blank? And yeah it's exactly as it was when I bought it. If so, GREAT.
I agree w/ blank. The 4670 does not require external power meaning it cant go above about 65w because that is about what the pci-e slots supply. I also checked the system components and if you were to run 2x Sata drives you would still be under 300w.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts