Overclock.net banner

Will this update my cpu microcode?

1087 18
Will this bios update update my cpu microcode on an msi z690 ddr4 tomahawk on a 12700k? I’m scared because last bios update I lost windows activation though one of the notes was changed default secure boot setting so I think that’s what did it and I didn’t export my keys so this one should be fine since it should be unchanged as there is no mention of it or how do I save my secure boot stuff so I don’t lose activation again? Is this even needed?
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just thought microcode was important for security is all

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,471 Posts
It is if there are security patches included.

·
Rabies is my business
4,467 Posts
This thread gave me flashbacks to the hyperthreaded 3570k thread here a decade ago.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Will this bios update update my cpu microcode on an msi z690 ddr4 tomahawk on a 12700k? I’m scared because last bios update I lost windows activation though one of the notes was changed default secure boot setting so I think that’s what did it and I didn’t export my keys so this one should be fine since it should be unchanged as there is no mention of it or how do I save my secure boot stuff so I don’t lose activation again? Is this even needed? View attachment 2573505
Idk if this is a issue on the tomahawk but I flashed latest bios on my ddr4 z690 edge and my ring bus wouldn't overclock to set clocks. Tried turning off all kinds of clock down features etc. Personally don't mess with it if it works.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Idk if this is a issue on the tomahawk but I flashed latest bios on my ddr4 z690 edge and my ring bus wouldn't overclock to set clocks. Tried turning off all kinds of clock down features etc. Personally don't mess with it if it works.
Honestly sounds like there's been a lot of issues with the latest BIOS for all of MSI's Z690 DDR4 boards so far...
You tested V1.80, right? Saves me time from having to test myself, then.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Honestly sounds like there's been a lot of issues with the latest BIOS for all of MSI's Z690 DDR4 boards so far...
You tested V1.80, right? Saves me time from having to test myself, then.
Yup. I flashed back to shipped bios 1.20 and problem solved. I'll update bios when I get rpl in a few months.
1.70 also caused the issue

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm so not gonna be the guinee pig for z790

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I'm so not gonna be the guinee pig for z790
Isn't worth the upgrade from z690 anyways. Just a little more I/o aka a nvme slot and a few USB ports

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Yup. I flashed back to shipped bios 1.20 and problem solved. I'll update bios when I get rpl in a few months.
1.70 also caused the issue
I personally tested V1.70, so I already know it was crap. Not shocked to see V1.80 being garbage as well though.
I'll wait for the next BIOS to come out after the 13th Gen launches.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Isn't worth the upgrade from z690 anyways. Just a little more I/o aka a nvme slot and a few USB ports
Nope, but I dont have a z690 at the moment, and the bioses which support RPL seem buggy so far.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Nope, but I dont have a z690 at the moment, and the bioses which support RPL seem buggy so far.
They are probably just buggy with alder lake to be honest. Rpl is a good bit different since cache is running significantly higher stock and more e cores etc. We won't know how it runs till rpl is actually released

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
They are probably just buggy with alder lake to be honest. Rpl is a good bit different since cache is running significantly higher stock and more e cores etc. We won't know how it runs till rpl is actually released
This may be true as well. These newer BIOSes were tested with RPL engineering samples in mind, not old ADL chips that they couldn't give a rat's ass about anymore. Waste of time and labour.
They probably expect people to report to them about issues with the newer BIOSes on ADL, so they can put out later hotfixes for them. Much better way to save time.

Us consumers have always been the beta testers. Not their own in-house employees. :p

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Us consumers have always been the beta testers. Not their own in-house employees. :p
Yes, that's why in the latest TEN years I have never bought a new platform within the first month.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I updated it when I signed I had to reset my pin up and then it said window’s was not activated but it activated immediately after that. Phew. I think the reason the last bios update deactivated windows was because one of the notes was changed default secure boot setting. I haven’t noticed any performance changes I just have peace of mind with the latest cpu microcode lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I figured it is the new microcode that limits the cache (unless e-cores are disabled) to a maximum of 3.6GHz (ADL) . MSI Z690 DDR4 V1.80 BIOS is equiped with microcode 25. Using MMTool I replaced 25 with an older one (1F from V1.40) and now I can set the ring ratio. The RAM training algorithm on V1.80 seems decent. On my 12600K (Hynix DJR) 4133MT/s 16-22-20-28 1T G1 SA 1.350V it passed Prime95 70 minutes Large FFTs AVX2 maximum temperature 99C.
Edit: by modifying the BIOS you are turning it into a Beta version.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts