Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running a OCZ Vertex as the OS and selected programs drive, and a WD Black 1TB as a data drive. I just purchased another WD Black 1TB.

Im thinking I need to copy all the data from the existing drive to a backup drive, reformat the drive. Then install the new one to establish the RAID 0. Then Partition the array into a 1.75TB and another .25TB for a ubuntu dual boot. Then copy back my data from the backup to the 1.75TB partition.

WIll this work, do I need to use any special programs to remove the data off the existing drive, or can I just copy everything to a folder on the backup with explorer?

Anything Im forgetting?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You're not missing anything. Just copy your data off of the 1TB to another drive, install the new 1TB, then setup the raid 0 in the bios and install drivers if needed. Then just copy your data back to the raid.

• Rep+
Reactions: JasonCz

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Sounds about right to me. Just copy over what you need and format it. Are you getting rid of the vertex?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCz View Post
or can I just copy everything to a folder on the backup with explorer?
you got it. Unless you have programs installed on the WD data drive, in which case they might have to be reinstalled (the registry on the ssd might not like programs suddenly on a raid drive)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by losttsol View Post
Are you getting rid of the vertex?
No, The Vertex is awesome, thatll keep my win 7 install and programs, Im just adding the Raid to speed up the data drive, and to have some additional space to do a linux install.

Thanks for the quick replies.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post
you got it. Unless you have programs installed on the WD data drive, in which case they might have to be reinstalled (the registry on the ssd might not like programs suddenly on a raid drive)
Really, so even if the drive letter of the array is the same as the existing drive, some programs on it could cease to function?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
double post -- please delete

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCz View Post
Really, so even if the drive letter of the array is the same as the existing drive, some programs on it could cease to function?
I'm 99.9% sure you'll be fine, but you never know. I once had a 500gb hdd with os and programs installed, saved a disk image onto an external hdd, got a second 500gh hdd and raided them together. Upon ghosting the image onto the newly raid'd internals, one of my games wouldn't start. I googled the error message and it was a missing registry entry.

• Rep+
Reactions: JasonCz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts