Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Good for gaming? Yes. Best AMD CPU for gaming? No. Ryzen 2000 six-core and eight-core CPUs take that spot.

If the primary focus of the build is gaming, go with the cheaper 2000-series Ryzens.

If the primary focus of the build is other applications that scale with more threads, then a Threadripper would be better for those and still be good for gaming.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for gaming? Yes. Best AMD CPU for gaming? No. Ryzen 2000 six-core and eight-core CPUs take that spot.

If the primary focus of the build is gaming, go with the cheaper 2000-series Ryzens.

If the primary focus of the build is other applications that scale with more threads, then a Threadripper would be better for those and still be good for gaming.
how much performance I will loose with a 16 cores threadripper 2 over an intel 8700K?

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
You're asking about a processor that we know nothing about. How do you expect us to answer these questions accurately? More threads isn't bad for gaming, but it usually comes at the expense of clock speed. If Zen 2 will achieve the same clocks with all those cores and threads, it will be a good gaming processor. As for how it will compare to currently available processor, we can't know.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
how much performance I will loose with a 16 cores threadripper 2 over an intel 8700K?
This is something we'll only find out after the NDA is lifted on Threadripper Gen2 benchmarks. That will be August 13th.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I somehow read "Zen 2" instead of "threadripper 2." Threadripper 2 will fundamentally be the same as the Ryzen 2000 series cores so I would expect similar performance. Should be the same single-core performance so gaming performance will be similar at similar clocks. There's no reason to go Threadripper for a gaming system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts