Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
I only encountered a great benefit in NieR Automata after deleting useplatformclock, did not try comparing in other games.

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
if you watched any of his videos, any settings there IS DRASTICALLY CHANGING THE INPUT according to him. be at a wallpaper change, or switching between PCIE ports.
he is as credible as roach is.
Now that you mention it, I use the default Win 8.1 wallpaper because changing it from default does change the input. It's not the actual wallpaper that does it, it's the fact altering wallpaper at all uses a different desktop plan. Who the hell knows what Microsoft's crappy code is doing under the hood when you switch from default desktop plan. I never noticed it having an effect on Win 7 but it does on Win 8.1. Not sure about 10, I don't use it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Now that you mention it, I use the default Win 8.1 wallpaper because changing it from default does change the input. It's not the actual wallpaper that does it, it's the fact altering wallpaper at all uses a different desktop plan. Who the hell knows what Microsoft's crappy code is doing under the hood when you switch from default desktop plan. I never noticed it having an effect on Win 7 but it does on Win 8.1. Not sure about 10, I don't use it.
this is called technical hypochondria, you have a terminal case of it.

·
"Insert dumb quote here"
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
if you watched any of his videos, any settings there IS DRASTICALLY CHANGING THE INPUT according to him. be at a wallpaper change, or switching between PCIE ports.
Yea you would think that drastic changes or any changes at all, as minor as they be, could be benchmarked in a way. So showing a high frame camera comparison of moving the mouse and on screen delay. But sadly no one does that, we just have to take his word for it, that its DRASTIC. Till he deletes that tweak later on when someone debunks it. I just wonder why it is so hard to provide proof to claims and why people get so mad when they can't provide them.

I am all up for improvement i just want to see some numbers. I have tried so many tweaks and for the most part the only real positive changes i have seen came from the obvious stuff (while some tweaks like platformtick made things even worse). Disabling c-states / power saving options, getting powerful hardware, setting up nvidea control panel correctly, using the ultimate power plan and thats it for the most part outside of some personal preference tweaks that make windows more comfortable to use.

·
"Insert dumb quote here"
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I only encountered a great benefit in NieR Automata after deleting useplatformclock, did not try comparing in other games.
Forcing hpet in general made things extremely bad for me on any system. Increased dpc latency, mouse felt awkward with the polling spiking all over the place and bad frametimes and stutter in games. I have always had best results with hpet enabled in bios and using the default of deletevalue useplatformclock.

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
From memory, I think changing wallpaper on Win7 only changes the wallpaper itself, but when you do it on Win8.1, I think it creates an entirely new desktop plan that covers a lot more attributes than just wallpaper. This is why changing wallpaper in the newer operating systems like 8.1 has an effect on mouse movement. You're not changing wallpaper, you're changing the entire desktop plan.

If it's coded in a stupid manner, anytime you do something, it probably performs some type of lookup to reference is default plan running? No? Then perform blah blah bogging down your render pipeline with straight out of New Delhi minimum wage code. It's the same thing with running a custom .icm color profile. That adds input lag too. The only people who think stuff like this can't alter input response are people who have never attempted to code anything in their lives, because everyone else knows it's very easy to create bad code.

The same effect as runnning a custom color profile is also seen when creating a custom refresh rate. So if you want some specific Hz, you better make sure it's native.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
From memory, I think changing wallpaper on Win7 only changes the wallpaper itself, but when you do it on Win8.1, I think it creates an entirely new desktop plan that covers a lot more attributes than just wallpaper. This is why changing wallpaper in the newer operating systems like 8.1 has an effect on mouse movement. You're not changing wallpaper, you're changing the entire desktop plan.

If it's coded in a stupid manner, anytime you do something, it probably performs some type of lookup to reference is default plan running? No? Then perform blah blah bogging down your render pipeline with straight out of New Delhi minimum wage code. It's the same thing with running a custom .icm color profile. That adds input lag too. The only people who think stuff like this can't alter input response are people who have never attempted to code anything in their lives, because everyone else knows it's very easy to create bad code.

The same effect as runnning a custom color profile is also seen when creating a custom refresh rate. So if you want some specific Hz, you better make sure it's native.
What did you code r0ach?

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
I started with MEL (Maya Embedded Language - now deprecated) then Python and C. I'm not an app developer. I don't code for a living. But I don't need noobs who don't even know what a pointer is telling me poorly designed code, BIOS implementations, etc, can't have any effect on mouse movement when it's easy to create garbage code and none of the people writing the code even care about mouse movement in the first place.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
"Desktop plan": Clown cursors for clown posters.

• Rep+
Reactions: oreonutz

·
Registered
690 Posts

its not from your memory, its from a dark place below your back

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
You know how desktop wallpaper on Windows works? "Display >image< from >address<". There, you learnt something today.

• Rep+
Reactions: oreonutz

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
You know how desktop wallpaper on Windows works? "Display >image< from >address<". There, you learnt something today.
We learned you don't know what you're talking about because Windows creates an entirely new desktop theme that covers numerous attributes if you make any attempt to change anything on the default theme. And the end result is the same thing as running a custom resolution or custom .icm profile. Running a custom resolution is more laggy than a native one, and running a custom ICM is more laggy than the default, Windows SRGB color profile. That is the way Windows is coded...to perform poorly if you change certain things away from default.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Was actually discussing this just the other day with someone and test some quick testing to demonstrate the negative effects this has with 1909. MS has a major update every six months these days which changes things a lot more often that it used to in the past. A lot of these "gaming tweaks" become obsolete almost as quickly as they're posted online, and that's assuming they actually do anything to begin with.

I guess there's a reason MS says "should only be used for debugging".

Sorry about the image dimensions, but it kinda has to be that big to fit everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well that is my issue as well, I went into great detail about it. These guys just think it is normal for a PC to work this way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just remembered one more tweak that might save a few cpu cycles in windows 10 is to turn off memory compression. Provided, you have like 16 gigs of ram.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
I just remembered one more tweak that might save a few cpu cycles in windows 10 is to turn off memory compression. Provided, you have like 16 gigs of ram.
After shutting down all useless bluetooth and other Hyper-V and whatnot services my W10 takes 1.8GB RAM (out of 16) excluding Discord, Afterburner and other crap and barely ever does 1% CPU usage in idle. Memory compression should only work with pagefile being made/used, no?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well what this thread demonstrates is how harmful anecdotal evidence can be, as more often than not, enabling/disabling something without fully understanding its effects can harm performance rather than enhance. Same applies to memory compression. In theory it sounds like disabling it can only improve performance, but unless there is proof to back up this claim, it's very possible the opposite could be true.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
I'm running on an integrated GPU, I will try disabling memory compression as I believe iGPU would be the most affected by that option due to reliance on system memory bandwidth. Any IO operation in memory hurts it noticeably.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wish i had a mouse graph as stable as yours honestly. Ryzen is a mess

21 - 40 of 129 Posts