Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the sleep button on my keyboard alot and it never gives me any problems. I have another user account for my girlfriend to use and I've been getting her to remember to use the sleep button if she is gonna be away for more then 20 mins or so. Now when I hit the sleep button everything in the tower turns off, an the power light blinks, like it should. On at least 5-6 different occasions I've come home and like at my pc and all the the fans are on, my wireless keyboard/mouse receiver is lit up(like it does when you move the mouse) and my power button is blinking, hdd light is on and nothing on the monitor. The only way to do anything is to hold the power button for like 3 secs and force it to shut down. When I turn it back on it says resuming windows then goes black for about 2mins and finally the login pops up. she closes everything before hitting the sleep button, an I've tried to recreate it with her account an mine and I can't. I've checked power options for both users and they are the same, sleep button sleeps. any thoughts? It's happened when over clocked and when not over clocked so I don't think it has anything to do with that. It's my sig rig BTW and it isn't dual booted or anything(Ubuntu on separate drive)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Thats normal I think for sleeping, but the slightest movement can turn it back on. Also check when Windows is updating, that could be why its coming back from sleep.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But when it happens it never really sleeps, I've been in the room when it's happen and she hits the button and it just doesn't turn off. The power button stays blinking the hdd light and keyboard receiver turn on and stay on and I can't get it back without a forced power off.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
But when it happens it never really sleeps, I've been in the room when it's happen and she hits the button and it just doesn't turn off. The power button stays blinking the hdd light and keyboard receiver turn on and stay on and I can't get it back without a forced power off.
Then I'd say to stop using the keyboard sleep key, and maybe press the power button once, and see if that makes it sleep, I know that works on some PC's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have her do it via the start button, but its just weird, we use the sleep button all the time and it happens 1/100 times maybe.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
I might have her do it via the start button, but its just weird, we use the sleep button all the time and it happens 1/100 times maybe.
Yeah, unless it came with the PC, I wouldn't rely on a keyboard to put a PC on sleep mode, the power button might be a more energy efficient solution

1 - 8 of 8 Posts