Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I delete the search history of the windows explorer search function, so that the auto completion is cleared? When I type in "o" for excample it shows the words "oblivion" and "office"(a screenshot is attached). I don't want that anymore.

Is it also possible to prevent windows from saving my search words and creating a search history?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think CCleaner does that.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by quadx
View Post

I think CCleaner does that.

Thanks, CCleaner did the trick. Can I also prevent widows from generating a new search history?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I believe what you want to do is disable indexing. This is a windows service. If you are using Windows XP, click on Start> Run... > Type "Services.msp"

This brings up all the services currently running on the computer (Caution about turning some of these off/on). Find "Indexing service" and turn it off.

I think that it what you wanted.

EDIT: Whoops, after reading that again, I see what you want is to remove Search History Displaying, in that case, disregard the above instructions (unless you want indexing to stop, indexing is normally only good for people who use search quite frequently).

I think Search History Display is a group policy on windows XP. I'll have to get back to you on that one. On Windows 7 (provided it's not the Home version) type "gpedit.msc" into the search bar on the start menu. This should bring up the Group Policy window. Navigate: User Configuration(not system configuration)> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Explorer> Then double click on "Turn off display of recent search entries in the Windows Explorer search box"
Set it to enabled and click apply and OK.

That should do the trick. (Note, this will not work on home versions, but I see in your System sig that you are using professional).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts