Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to install windows XP pro on my moms computer today and for some reason it wont install. I searched the error in google and it says it has something to do with the CD being dirty or scratched (it is, a little). I tryed burning the CD to see if this would correct the problem and it gave me an error when burning too.

I was wondering if someone could copy winxp pro and send it to me... I can pay for the CD, and shipping charges. PM me if you can.

I'm not sure if this is legal, but I figured I'd give it a try since I have my own cd key from the CD that's not working.

I'm running xp home right now (also legal), but I hate having to call MS everytime I install it.

Junier.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I was trying to install windows XP pro on my moms computer today and for some reason it wont install. I searched the error in google and it says it has something to do with the CD being dirty or scratched (it is, a little). I tryed burning the CD to see if this would correct the problem and it gave me an error when burning too.

I was wondering if someone could copy winxp pro and send it to me... I can pay for the CD, and shipping charges. PM me if you can.

I'm not sure if this is legal, but I figured I'd give it a try since I have my own cd key from the CD that's not working.

I'm running xp home right now (also legal), but I hate having to call MS everytime I install it.

Junier.

I would recommend asking friends and family if they have the CD, it would be much easier than burning a copy because the the MS write protection.
The way to bypass the write protection is to hold Shift when inserting the XP CD. Then you can try to copy, if that fails talk to friends and family to see if they have the CD then just do a reinstall.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I've burned multiple copies of my XP disk, for people who need to repair or do ASR, but don't have an original disk (cuz they have a proprietary system). If you have a CD key, then I don't see anything illegal about obtaining a copy....even if you don't, I don't see any legality issues with getting a copy...after all it's really the key that you pay for more than antyhing else.

I have XP Pro, otherwise I would offer to send you a copy for the cost of shipping. Doesn't anybody you know have a copy that you could burn?

·
Registered
645 Posts
someone could copy their xp pro to a .iso file and send it over an instant messanging program too you and u could just burn it

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclocking-the-world

Tell me the error message...it might be the same one i had..and if it is i know how to fix it.

I'll try installing it later to get the exact error and number... It was something like syntax error... It froze for awhile, and the the screen poped up... I tryed it many times and got the same thing.

BTW, I was able to copy the XP CD, but it still gave me the same error when trying to install from the burned CD. None of my friends have XP pro, they all have Dells, and crap with Home edition.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

I have XP Pro, otherwise I would offer to send you a copy for the cost of shipping. Doesn't anybody you know have a copy that you could burn?

Thats what I need!!! the only reason I'm using home edition is because I cant get my XP pro CD to work.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Thats what I need!!! the only reason I'm using home edition is because I cant get my XP pro CD to work.

What makes pro better than home??????????

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

The only difference is increased security and auditability.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is not that is better, is just that I do clean installs of windows very often, and I always have to call MS if I do home edition... Is just a hassle you know.

Plus I paid 150 bucks for pro, so it would be nice if I could copy to use it.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

I know that when networking my xbox(modded) with my PC through XP's buil-in Samba(SMB) sharing it works much better with pro then home.. there are alot of small things missing in home that make it a pain in the ass. That's the only thing I know about... it's part of the fact that home is slightly less controllable as it is intended for a minimalist target group

EDIT: Linux has samba too.... I'm definitely gonna do a dual or triple boot until win64 goes retail or freetail. I love warez because it allows you to have what you have been waiting for before you get a chance to buy it. But honestly, if it works/you like it/plan to keep it... by all means BUY IT... without economical support great developers will go broke. Not that MS will ever go broke...

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerM

PM me i might be able to hook you up with an iso

Screw windows... get me a ISO for the 64bit Suse Linux 9.2... I think both are combined into the same installer though... so yea. DVD ISO please

1 - 15 of 15 Posts